Deer Park Auto Museum

Xander Wildeisen

Great assortment, thanks for posting.

Looks like they are trying to pour 10 gallons into a 5 gallon hat. Some vehicles appeared to be outside. They really need more room to separate the displays so they can be better appreciated.

I'm sure EdinMass will appreciate the circa '70's paint job on the Pierce cabriolet.

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Looks like a neat place to visit.

Never knew it was there, I may have to take a day trip out there to see it.

Have you been to the gas and steam engine museum in Vista?

They have one day a month where they run a bunch of the engines for visitors.

https://www.agsem.com/

• Like 2

I was there in early November. You missed the story on the 1928 Franklin Boattail Sport runabout. According to the sign there were only 7 ever made.  Further, a 1928 Franklin was the only vehicle Charles Lindbergh would accept after his record 1927 NY to Paris flight. Franklin was so honored they changed their radiator cap to a replica of the Spirit of St. Louis  as an option (seen on the car in the photo). 

Be prepared to do a great deal of walking. The place is/was a winery and the vehicles are housed in three separate buildings spread out over several acres-one is quite a hike uphill. Still, an amazing collection of cars and other memorabilia. Well worth the trip.IMG_0489.jpeg.3193d5c2d80ae104dab1eabd494004a1.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Xander Wildeisen, these photos are great, but museums hit me two ways. One, I'm so glad folks preserve things I will never get to see or own otherwise, and two, it almost hurts to see the stuff just setting and not being used, lol. Thanks so much for showing your wonderful photos !!!

• Like 1

Doesn't look like much has changed since we visited a few years ago.  I remember some areas were dusty and looked like the vehicles had not moved in a long time.  Typical old fashioned "museum" with cars lined up behind ropes, packed close together. 

There is a special forum for "Museums." 

Terry

• Like 1

An interesting and varied collection for sure. Thank you for posting

They must be going for the Shoehorn (Most Cars Per Square Foot) Award.

For my taste, fewer cars with more space between would add a lot to the visitor experience.  Likewise the verbose signage — IMO cutting the word count by 75% would impart more information to the casual visitor. Few people will wade through all that text, particularly at floor level, unless there is a real interest in a specific vehicle.

Deer Park.jpeg

Deer Park 2.jpeg

Edited by Chris Bamford (see edit history)
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, zepher said:

Looks like a neat place to visit.

Never knew it was there, I may have to take a day trip out there to see it.

Have you been to the gas and steam engine museum in Vista?

They have one day a month where they run a bunch of the engines for visitors.

https://www.agsem.com/

Have not been there, It is just 15 miles from my location. Will check it out.

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Like 2

For some reason, most (like 80%) of the pictures showed up as small square boxes with a ? in it. This is very frustrating. I use Safari on a Mac. Can anyone suggest what causes the problem?
Thanks, and apologies to Xander for a slight temporary diversion of the thread