Side glass for '65 - Auto City Glass

65VerdeGS

Update:

Today I called Classic Auto Glass and spoke to 'Quentin' about the side glass they offer for 1st Gen Rivieras.

The Good: They offer plain and tinted, for the quite reasonable price of $89 per piece.

The Questionable:  The side glass they offer is not tempered as is the OEM glass.  Instead, their glass is laminated (like OEM windshield glass). 

More concerning is that their '65 side glass comes as a plain sheet without any holes drilled. 

When I asked about mounting onto the stock window lift sash bar he said "Oh, just use setting tape..."  Hmmm. 😕

I didn't get to asking whether the thickness of their laminated side glass is the same as the OEM tempered glass as I can't see a practical way to mount the glass without having the requisite holes.  And I don't know if drilling holes is an option, nor who would do that for me.

Based on this, I'm going to first try to polish out the 'haze' on my existing door glass using Cerium Oxide.  If that doesn't work, then I'll keep hunting for an original replacement side glass (with holes) to fit my Riviera.

• Like 1

You should be able to drill holes in laminated glass with a carbide bit.  Or take it to a glass shop and have them do it.  In fact, they could also set the glass in the frame if you want them to.

I've ordered tempered glass with holes in it from a local glass company frequently for work.  The laminated stuff gets harder to deal with as the drilling I don't think reacts well to the plastic layer.  I remember the old school trick to cutting laminated glass down was to score one layer, fill the cut with alcohol and light it on fire to soften or burn the plastic then snap it.  Never did it so could be wildly wrong there.

The Sanders folks offer production off of your template so could try that and see what they say about both if the stocked stuff has a hole and if they could put one in.  I know they give the option of tempered and laminated.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CTX-SLPR said:

The Sanders folks offer production off of your template so could try that and see what they say about both if the stocked stuff has a hole and if they could put one in.  I know they give the option of tempered and laminated.

We're dealing with FLAT GLASS here. So, I'd stick with Tempered Glass.

Should be do-able. As for Holes, why not setting tape like the 1963 to 64 Rivieras? Will not match the pass door but who's to know?

4 hours ago, XframeFX said:

We're dealing with FLAT GLASS here. So, I'd stick with Tempered Glass.

Should be do-able. As for Holes, why not setting tape like the 1963 to 64 Rivieras? Will not match the pass door but who's to know?

Wouldn’t you first have to come up with a 63 track so you’d have something to set the tape in?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Wouldn’t you first have to come up with a 63 track so you’d have something to set the tape in?

Yes to a '63 to mid 1964 track. Might be more plentyful than a crystal clear piece of 1-year only replacement.