32 PA Plymouth

broker-len

four cylinder      Motor Professionally rebuilt    board out block new pistons   new valves and guides   head trued up new head gasket   plug one and two producing good power but when I ground out number 3    not much differance    4 a little better  vacuum is about 18     took the wires out of the loom and moved around different plugs     if I clean and dry all four plugs and run for 5 minutes   the plugs seem to be damp   is that blow by not removed because the car is  stationary ?????    can't find problem    bobnroman@yahoo.com

Plymouth G.JPG

thank you both      all the compression are the same   36 LBs   I think     not sure how to do a leak down test   I thought about the valves       they are such a pain to get to and because the compression was good ruled them out  ?????   what do you think ?

If compression is even and within expected(?) range, there's usually no need for leak-down test.

How much has the engine been used/driven since the rebuild ? If not much, I'd try to drive it 20-30 miles (hard) and see if anything changes

Have driven it a little enough to seat every thing in     low in power  when idleing  you can smell unburned gas  out exhaust,,,  just do not want to run hard with a condition that that    I think in spring going to check the valve clearances ,,,real pain !!!!    maybe put in another set of plugs  

31 minutes ago, broker-len said:

I have one of those gauges with rubber end  take out all plugs    stick the gauge in each hole and hit the starter     think think all holes are  35 PSI

Seems low.

Care to describe your compression test procedure in more detail ?

For example:

Hot or cold engine ? Fully charged, good battery (attached to a charger) ? Throttle closed or open ? How many cranking revolutions per each cylinder ? Etc…

• Like 1

If spark is weak at number 3 and 4 it is unlikely to be a compression issue, and more likely to be an electrical problem. Run the motor at night, in the dark, and see if there is any tracking of voltage to earth. Your distributor cap may have a hair crack or carbon build up and is tracking. Check your points gap and condenser.

Wet plugs indicates either too rich a mixture or weak spark/wrong plugs. What spark plugs are you using?

thanks                   cap is new but could be bad    will check it and  points   I took the number 3 wire out of the loom  insulated from ground    will try the dark garage trick     will also check plugs

Is the distributor cam worn?  Pull the wire off no 3, preferably with insulated pliers, while it is running and see what there is for spark there when held near a head bolt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful on setting timing, the vac. chamber retards the timing unlike most cars where it advances it. So, at idle with full vac. the timing will be late. Also be sure you are running metal core plug wires.