1953 Olds Super Holiday 88 Hard Top - $40,000 REDUCED: now $34,900

Looks to be a VERY nice example, but $40K?   (more pics in ad) 

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/redding-1953-olds-super-holiday-88-hard/7701425482.html

Show winner, None nicer, 53 Olds Super 88 Holiday Hard Top, completely bone stock factory correct, Rocket 165 hp. eng. power steering, power brakes, 3 spd automatic transmission shifts perfectly, all lights and dash gauges work correctly incl. e-brake light and all courtesy lights, factory interior with chrome headliner bows, padded red dash with grey glove box etc., seat belts front and rear, perfect factory interior throughout. All chrome and stainless is flawless as are all dash knobs, Kick panels, door panels and hardware all flawless. Body is Lotus cream with Baltic Blue roof. bumpers stainless trim hood emblem are perfect. sway bars front and rear., dual exhaust, correct carpeted trunk, new Kuhmo radial tires with trim rings and correct Olds Super 88 hub caps with matching fender skirts. CA. built in South Gate, CA. Top of Preservation Class right down to the correct hose clamps etc. Drives and rides better than new!! Better than back in the day with new radial tires. As nice as it gets! Like new!! I don't text ph call preferred.!!  (530) 228-9055

image.png.b45fb72ea514017860116fef2416ed83.pngimage.png.e754830cfaab0e5dfa4ae14e017ff5b0.pngimage.png.c55c94dfbd15d1049ae052c1bddbdfc4.pngimage.png.79763327be7776da6bb2f7686df0a33e.pngimage.png.79e82d325506bf86e03f845964e62a3d.pngimage.png.a5a5b6a10d6d703194274fb31734fa0a.pngimage.png.f01d0fd9ad73cec255c2d62771e8ab37.png

Edited by Leif in Calif
price change (see edit history)
  • Like 1

IMO 1953 was the year for these early 50's GM cars. They had steering and power brakes. Olds stood out with the rocket V8. My issue with a show winning car is that I would not want to drive it. 40G's is a lot of chips!  However to an Olds collector the seller may see something close to the asking price! GLWTS 

Edited by deac (see edit history)

This car is way overpriced and could well be a flip. It's a fairly nice car but it's not bonestock factory correct or near ready for Top Preservation class either. A few flaws are the red interior sunvisors, the "factory" dual exhaust that Olds never offered until 1956, a non-existent battery hold-down (one year only item, might be hard to find) and the modern Kumho radial tires. I don't see the correct plastic Power Steering insert in the steering wheel and 1953 Oldsmobiles never had carpeted trunks either. Little things like working e-brake & courtesy lights and correct wire hose clamps really aren't worth mentioning and hardly contribute anything to a $40K car. I might be critical and such criticism might not be proper and polite but Geez, we're talking about a car here that someone is trying  to get $40K for.  If the price was $20K I wouldn't even be commenting on it. It's hard to find any credibility at all with a seller with such an overpriced car and so many incorrect statements in the ad, all in his favor. And BTW, any fifties GM enthusiast knows those famous early Hydramatics were 4-speed units and not 3-speed as clearly stated in the ad. It makes you wonder if the seller even bothered to drive the car he trying to sell..........Again it IS a nice car and I'm sorry if I offended anyone but there are just too many things wrong with this ad to justify the high asking price of the car. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Again it IS a nice car and I'm sorry if I offended anyone but there are just too many things wrong with this ad to justify the high asking price of the car.

You DO know your Oldsmobiles.  

• Like 1

Nothing beats the look of those 1953-1955 Olds Fiesta spinners, IMO one of the most attractive hubcap designs of all time. I'm surprised the seller of the expensive 53 Olds didn't spring for a set of wide whites but he elected not to as that would cut into his profit margin. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deac said:

IMO 1953 was the year for these early 50's GM cars. They had steering and power brakes. Olds stood out with the rocket V8. My issue with a show winning car is that I would not want to drive it. 40G's is a lot of chips!  However to an Olds collector the seller may see something close to the asking price! GLWTS 

I agree that 1953 is the key year for many with the creature comforts: power steering, power brakes, the rarely-installed ac, reliable Hydra-Matic.  

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1953 Olds Super Holiday 88 Hard Top - $40,000 REDUCED: now $34,900

I owned one with 27k original miles. All  the interior was original too. I did have it professionally repainted. Sold it for 5k about 18 years ago. 

I agree with 55er, nice car, but I don't think that it will bring 40K. I think if it were a 98 in a bolder color the price would be right. 

On 12/28/2023 at 6:26 PM, The 55er said:

This car is way overpriced and could well be a flip. It's a fairly nice car but it's not bonestock factory correct or near ready for Top Preservation class either. A few flaws are the red interior sunvisors, the "factory" dual exhaust that Olds never offered until 1956, a non-existent battery hold-down (one year only item, might be hard to find) and the modern Kumho radial tires. I don't see the correct plastic Power Steering insert in the steering wheel and 1953 Oldsmobiles never had carpeted trunks either. Little things like working e-brake & courtesy lights and correct wire hose clamps really aren't worth mentioning and hardly contribute anything to a $40K car. I might be critical and such criticism might not be proper and polite but Geez, we're talking about a car here that someone is trying  to get $40K for.  If the price was $20K I wouldn't even be commenting on it. It's hard to find any credibility at all with a seller with such an overpriced car and so many incorrect statements in the ad, all in his favor. And BTW, any fifties GM enthusiast knows those famous early Hydramatics were 4-speed units and not 3-speed as clearly stated in the ad. It makes you wonder if the seller even bothered to drive the car he trying to sell..........Again it IS a nice car and I'm sorry if I offended anyone but there are just too many things wrong with this ad to justify the high asking price of the car. 

This car IS a flip. Last sold 3/26/23 from Langley, BC, Canada. Seller's reduced price at that time was $23,500 US. 

More details here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/393454-for-sale-1953-oldsmobile-rocket-88-hardtop-two-tone-cream-white-black-excellent-condition-langley-bc-canada-not-mine-321-reduced-326-deleted/#comment-2499455

Pictures from sale in 2023.

image.png.657ab4c7c96e3e31f82b96acdd687070.png

image.png.8a6e31457cc588ac462f536a4dba1831.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)