1908 Fuller roadster

We purchased a property in Colorado that included some old cars, including a 1908 Fuller roadster, 4 cylinder. It is in great shape, and seems to be one of only a few in existence.  We know very little about this era of automobile, and are not interested in keeping it. We would be interested in learning more about its value, as well as selling it to an interested buyer.  Thank you!

IMG_5713.jpeg

IMG_5714.jpeg

Edited by Coloradocar
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Your car appears to be a Fuller automobile built in Jackson, Michigan, 1909-1910. They built two-cylinder high-wheelers and a regular-size pneumatic-wheel four-cylinder roadster that looks just like yours. My search on the internet produced only one other Michigan-built four-cylinder Fuller, and it is a touring. I found three Fuller high-wheelers. Your roadster may be the only one known... I would place a value of roughly $20,000, since it appears to be VERY complete.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 5.45.38 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 6.10.01 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 6.13.58 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There was also a Fuller built in Angus, Nebraska from 1908-1910. For 1908, their automobiles featured either one of two different four-cylinder engines or a six. Approximately 400 were built. For 1909 and 1910, they offered only the fours.

https://history.nebraska.gov/fuller-automobiles-once-manufactured-in-nebraska/

Your car is obviously not one of the Nebraska-built cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As one of the few people around that has actually had a Fuller, I can tell you that the few Jackson Michigan Fuller owners do keep somewhat in contact with each other. I had to sell mine some years ago for family reasons, and have not kept track of the Fuller owners since. Twenty year ago, there were seventeen Jackson Fullers believed/known to exist. Most of those were the two cylinder models. About a third of them were in running condition.

And yes, one of the few errors in the Kimes and Clark book is the photos of the Nebraska and Jackson Michigan Fullers are slightly mixed up.

The Jackson and Nebraska Fuller automobiles were manufactured at about the same time and there were some similarities, however they were not related to each other.

With connections to the Cartercar and Jackson (No hill too steep, no sand too deep), the Jackson Michigan Fuller has a very interesting history!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Coloradocar changed the title to 1908 Fuller coupe
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all of this valuable information! I do have a question, though. Our title and records on the vehicle state that it is a 1908 model. We have the receipt from when the former owner who purchased it I960, stating 1908 fuller, engine #60. Seems like you all believe it’s a Jackson Fuller, not a Nebraska car. How do you identify the difference? Thanks again everybody! 

Edited by Coloradocar (see edit history)

Many, if not most cars have an Identification Plate, typically on the firewall that would give the manufacturer's name and location. If not on the engine side, check the inside.

Regards,

Henry Feinberg

• Thanks 1

The Nebraska built Fuller, for some silly reason of trivia is somewhat more known than the Fuller built in Jackson Michigan. When I had mine, I usually referred to it as a "Jackson" Fuller simply to differentiate that it was in fact the one built in Jackson Michigan, and not the one so many people had heard of from Nebraska. The Fuller built in Nebraska was one of very few marques built in Nebraska, and therefore famous for being something unusual. The Fullers built in Michigan were one of many automakers that produced cars in Michigan, so not similarly notorious. 

The Jackson automobile is quite famous in its own right, and was for a few years one of the most respected automobiles built in the USA. Before Pierce, Packard, and Peerless took over the top spots in the USA, the Jackson was considered by many to be the best automobile manufactured in the USA. The entire Jackson, Carter, and Fuller history is filled with intrigue, dirty dealings, and the rise and fall of fortunes.

Byron Carter's sad and untimely demise and its resulting effects on automotive history adds considerable interest to the entire affair.

The Jackson Michigan built Fuller automobile manufactured one of the biggest two cylinder automobiles of the era (1908 thorough 1910), as well as a fine midsize four cylinder car. Their most popular model was a NOT typical high wheel standard design automobile. Although the car was a typical era style car, not a buggy style, it had larger wheels with solid rubber "tires" as opposed to pneumatic tires. Their four cylinder cars were typical midsize automobiles with pneumatic tires.

Knowing which Fuller for some of us is just knowing what we are looking at. I am not nearly as familiar with the Nebraska Fuller as I am with the ones manufactured in Michigan. There were several very good articles in the major hobby magazines on the Jackson and Fuller automobiles and their history about a half century ago. Having read those, I simply recognize the model's style.

• Thanks 1

Small point, but your Fuller is a roadster, not a coupe. The coupe body style existed in the 1908 era, but was quite uncommon { any maker, not just Fuller }. Roadsters on the other hand were very popular. { still are }

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• Coloradocar changed the title to 1908 Fuller roadster