P2 Air cleaner

vette-kid

Me again! If you feel adventurous, they can be dismantled and the filter replaced. I have done 2 of the larger units for the Dodges. There was a company selling repro filter units but I made mine from some copper scrubbing pads. There is a brand, that when unraveled, is a tube which can be folded flat and doubled up to make a rather good filter. I drilled a small hole on the top edge of the fold between the top and bottom pieces. I then made a tool from a pair of long nose pliers to fold back the edge of the rim.  Putting it back together was simply very carefully hammering the fold back down tight.  I don't have a pic of it finished!

DSC01951.JPG

DSC01952.JPG

DSC01953.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The sticker on the side is fairly legible. You might check out a graphics shop to see if they could make you some. Might be a small market for them. I don't think they are available anywhere but I could be wrong. The other guys are correct. You have to wash the entire unit in gas, let it dry, then dip the filter portion in oil then wipe off the exterior. Makes quite a mess! I think a lot of these where changed out when the 2 piece units were available! When I painted it, I slid a piece of thin cardstock inside the unit around the exposed filter so I didn't get any paint on it, then just removed it after painting. If you want, send it up, I wouldn't mind playing with it!

On 12/22/2023 at 3:51 PM, jpage said:

The clips that are closest to mine that they still have in stock are number 1195 black. They don't have any more of the retainer plates.

Progress report... mineral spirits behaved just as I suspected.   After a few hours in the mineral spirits, the decal and paint were visibly damaged, so I went for it with spray foaming degreaser.  Three decal is completely gone and it will need repainted.   Fortunately I found the decals.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391949937136?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cRY5UdgGQzy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=cNXgq1FyQfO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

So now the copper mesh is once again copper and water flows pretty well (it didn't at first), I'm still now faced with a dilemma...I am NOT doing this every time it needs cleaned.   So I will either have to take @jpage advice of pulling it apart (Although I question how that will hold up over time), or run the filter dry and pan to clean it regularly with a water hose. 

20231223_091214.jpg

20231223_091219.jpg

@vette-kid I admittedly don't have experience with that particular air cleaner, but have you tried removing the (domed) top lid  (i.e. "COVER" noted in service instruction decal) which looks almost like possibly being held in place with some internal clips or something and may just pop off if pried up at the edges, hence allowing access and removal of the inner filter element for servicing ?

Thanks for confirming.

I also noticed the service decal instructions are for an oil bath type air cleaner, which yours is not and therefore those instructions aren’t exactly correct for it.

These are a type of oil bath. after cleaning, you dip the unit into oil to cover the filer, then drain out any excess oil. Some oil is trapped in the filer element and catches dirt. Unlike the regular oil bath un its, these have to be cleaned more often.

13 hours ago, jpage said:

These are a type of oil bath. after cleaning, you dip the unit into oil to cover the filer, then drain out any excess oil. Some oil is trapped in the filer element and catches dirt. Unlike the regular oil bath un its, these have to be cleaned more often.

Doesn't sound very logical/practical as it would likely take days or weeks to "drain" enough 50W oil not to make a mess or get in/on the carburetor and inside the intake manifold, but I'll take your word. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

2 hours ago, jpage said:

Here's a picture of my restored unit. Notice that the doge units are higher than the Plymouth's, maybe because of the larger engine.

Filter.jpg

So how did it look after dipping, draining, wiping off the excess and eventually in use ?

And how often you service, i.e. clean and re-dip it ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

TTR. I've not gotten far enough in the restoration to use it. I'm not crazy about dipping it either, solely as a cosmetic issue. I too, thought of running it dry or covering the exposed filter with some kind of filter paper but not sure if that would be effective because the rest of the filter will still be exposed to the free air. The only way to be sure that the entire filter is oil covered is to dip it.  Model A's had no air filter and I never had any trouble with my A engine, so for as much as these cars are driven, there may not be a huge problem, if the filter element is cleaned regularly. Ideally, dipping would be the best operating option, but it comes down to appearance over function. Without actually doing the dipping thing, it might not be as big an issue as we may think if one is careful. Eventually though, the unit will have to be cleaned. Actually, dipping it in gasoline or solvent is probably going to be harder overall on the new paint than dipping it in oil! I guess ya' just gotta do what ya' just gotta do!

• 1 month later...

Finally got this refinished.   We painted it 4 times, kept having some reaction with the paint.   Switched to an etching primer and it worked great.   Rather than oil, I'm just going to give s light spray with a machine oil and rinse it out once or twice a year with a hose. 

20240127_085859.jpg

20240127_085853.jpg

• Like 1