Not mine: 71 Centurion 4dr

Beautiful car that was previously owned by Jim Campbell, a BCA member who passed away last February.   Jim acquired the Centurion in 1990 as a low mileage original car.

Jim was a long-time (1966 - 1993) engineering employee of the Buick Motor Division, and had involvement in the project to incorporate balance shafts into the design of the Buick 3800 V6.

Jim's son told me:  "I can remember the wood models of the balance shaft on the dining table… the mathematical calculations filled a large binder…"

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Beautiful car that was previously owned by Jim Campbell, a BCA member who passed away within the last couple of years.  

Jim was a long-time engineering employee of the Buick Motor Division, and receives credit, as I recall, for incorporating balance shafts into the design of the Buick 3800 V6.

Cool to know the history of the car and a significance of its previous owner. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

There is a small cadre of us guys that love the Centurions and it doesn’t matter what the body type is.  

This one is very nice and you get a Harwood detail, at least a $500 value, at no additional cost.  

My introduction to Centurions was a Cheyenne Wyoming neighbor. Mrs Steere drove a 72 4 door in that dark Hunter green, similar dark to medium green interior and vinyl top.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 11:58 AM, Centurion said:

Jim was a long-time (1966 - 1993) engineering employee of the Buick Motor Division, and had involvement in the project to incorporate balance shafts into the design of the Buick 3800 V6.

Well, kudos to him!  I replaced the noisy timing chain on my 1990 Bonneville and was surprised and impressed by the engineering that went into the balance shaft implementation on the 3800.  That engine was a big leap forward from the odd-fire 231 V6 in my 1977 Century!

• Like 2