For you snow drivers

I’ve probably shown this before, but here in the New Orleans area, and all across south Louisiana, it is extremely rare to have snow-

but that quarter-inch we seem to get once every ten or so years really shows how little the general population seems to understand how to drive- or actually how not to drive, when a dusting of snow graces our landscape.

For my part, I’m prepared for the worst of winter weather:

IMG_0219.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I grew up in the South San Francisco Bay Area. Not often it ever snows there except on mountain tops where few people ever go to (except for our Model T Ford Club's endurance runs?). However, my dad had grown up on a cattle ranch in Northeastern Nevada. Extreme cold, and moderate levels of snow every year! He made sure I learned how to drive in snow and on ice (which I was eager to learn anyhow). Through my adult years, I managed to drive in snow several times, but not a lot. Then, nearing my mid 50s, my wife has had it with Bay Area congestion! We end up moving to Grass Valley up in the Sierra foothills (about 2000 feet elevation). Here, we get some snow every year, and some years quite a bit!

I have an older Ford Expedition, tow vehicle with four wheel drive, and I have never even put my chains on it (I carry them every winter just in case). No trouble at all getting around up to a foot of snow on the ground! 

What amazes me, is that half the people in town, were born here, families dating back almost a century or more. Two stinking inches of snow shuts the whole town down! Most people here, born and raised where it snows every year, and most of them cannot handle driving in any amount of snow.

Full disclosure, one time, we ended up with about two feet of snow on our private road neighborhood that doesn't get plowed. I was basically stuck at home for two days. If I had put the chains on, I am sure I could have gotten out. But I really didn't need to go anywhere.

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

We end up moving to Grass Valley up in the Sierra foothills (about 2000 feet elevation). Here, we get some snow every year, and some years quite a bit!

Back in March 2011, my wife and I went to Grass Valley so I could take metal forming classes from Kent White at Tin Man Tech in N. San Juan, a few miles from Grass Valley.  Kent had said that in March the snow is over, but it snowed heavily the 2nd day we were there.  It was pretty slippery getting back to the hotel in Grass Valley that evening, and I drive in New England snow every year.  The snow soon melted.  There was an old Packard dealership/garage in Grass Valley back then.  

kent_white_cowl.jpg.3dad5b7d786aba118f6e658efd7e574f.jpg

Kent White demonstrating how to form a reverse curve in an aluminum sheet.

PackardgarageGrassValley.JPG.3d4916e47bc3cabd95b7f5dc03e751e2.JPG

Packard garage in Grass Valley, CA.

• Like 4

I was doing a job down in Texas a few years ago. Near San Antonio.

It was January, but for me mostly T-shirt weather.

However, I was there for the first snow dusting in about twenty years.

Some kids were actually able to scrounge up enough snow to make a snowman on a high school football field. Maybe two feet tall.

The local news guys sent a reporter out there and they camped out for a few days it was such a big deal to have a snowman.

I'm surprised they didn't throw a funeral for the poor little thing. Who knows? Maybe they did.

• Haha 1

Years ago, I had a 67 BelAir wagon for a work car. It got me back and forth to work with basically a pair of snow tires running about 20 pounds of air pressure. It could handle up to about 8" of snow before it ran out of ground clearance and with a 283/PG it didn't have enough power to get me in any real trouble.

We'd had 4-6" of snow and I was headed in for a 4-12 shift. A couple miles from the house I ran up on a neighbor, who had somehow managed to spin out an International Scout and get it hung up on a berm.

He says "reckon you can pull me back on the road?"

🤣

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...