Paint that's resistant to brake fluid

Buick35

Brake fluid is the best paint stripper you can buy today.  That's one of the reasons we changed to Dot 5 for our MGs.

Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for Dot 5. I've had it in my 442 since 1981, and all the horror stories of the bad things that were supposed to happen never did. Only good stuff, like never having to service the brakes hydraulic system and never damaging paint.

• Thanks 3

Check POR-15 out - that stuff is supposed to be "chemical resistant". Another option may be "Forminex" - I have my benches coated with it and it seems to resist everything I have ever spilt on it.

Steve

• Like 2

Another vote for Dot 5. Not only does it not harm paint, it also preserves the brake components. A few months ago I rebuilt the master and wheel cylinders on my 1935 Auburn after using them with Dot 5 ever since 1993. I was amazed how nice the cylinders were -- only a very few minor pits that quickly honed out completely. I also replaced the brake hoses. Kept the steel lines because I had replaced them in '93 and there was no corrosion visible anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ran DOT5 in my 1971 Plymouth GTX for all the years I owned the car, loved it.  As I recall, it took a couple of attempts to fully bleed the system, but once it was bled it performed flawlessly.  :)

• Like 2

You just don't want traditional DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid and paint to ever get near each other. There is a good reason most brake cylinders are bare cast.

If I had to come up with something to try, I think I would use a 2-part paint like an epoxy or urethane. Something where you mix 2 parts and it cures by a chemical reaction. I'm not sure, but that might do it. I don't think any traditional air dry paint will work.