National Corvette Museum To Suspend Factory Tours In 2024

7th Son

image.png.770d620135c2d8072a209d03e3c6b6b8.png 

https://carbuzz.com/news/national-corvette-museum-to-suspend-factory-tours-in-2024

According to the museum, Corvette assembly plant tours will be suspended for an unknown period starting February 5, 2024. "Tours offered by the National Corvette Museum of GM's Bowling Green Assembly Plant will be suspended beginning Monday, February 5, 2024. The National Corvette Museum will continue regular operations," reads the announcement.

That usually means they are making major changes, either to the assembly line or the car or both.  The modern Corvette is one of the most under rated sports cars on the planet.  It’s price to performance far outweighs many of the so-called exotics.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TerryB said:

That usually means they are making major changes, either to the assembly line or the car or both.  The modern Corvette is one of the most under rated sports cars on the planet.  It’s price to performance far outweighs many of the so-called exotics.  

I didnt care for them when they came out. The more I look at them the more I like. I was seriously considering selling off the classics to buy one. Still not out of the realm of possibilities!!

I will add that the biggest reason at this point NOT to get one is how would I keep my wife out of the driver seat? Not that I would have a problem with her having this car, just keeping her safe is the key. Maybe a speed limiter, LOL.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

There were stretches in he Corvette’s history that had me head scratching on why they went the direction they did. Now they seem to be as edgy and performance oriented as ever.  Couldn’t afford them then, can’t now but still admire the way they keep the driving spirit alive.

• Like 2

I have always liked a corvette, any and all years just for what they were. Had ZERO desire to own one. I preferred a Trans Am over a vette any day of the week. A few years ago a friend let me drive his Z06. I think the devil himself created the drivetrain for that car! It was amazing!! I was hooked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 57 Corvette had aa HIGH PERF. 350 and Muncie 4 speed transmission.  Drove lile a rocket!

Unfortunatley I was not 5'6" and 160 lbs, making ot to small for me.   Now at my age, I would need a Hoyah

Lift to get me out of the new ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

My 57 Corvette had aa HIGH PERF. 350 and Muncie 4 speed transmission.  Drove lile a rocket!

Unfortunatley I was not 5'6" and 160 lbs, making ot to small for me.   Now at my age, I would need a Hoyah

Paul that srntiment is not lost on me.  I am lucky I guess to feel physically no too different at 60 than 40 despite a fairly ample mid section.  Had a C3 once and have thought about that, or an earlier model.  But, for a two seater the SL is tough to beat for longer drives.  Another is not out of the question but I would likely go earlier vs. Later.  The C1 cockpit limitations are something to look into though.  I drove a C2 ages and 40 lbs ago so that is not a good point of reference either..

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

If they make a lift for the removable top, why can't they make one for YOU??!?

Craig

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I didnt care for them when they came out. The more I look at them the more I like. I was seriously considering selling off the classics to buy one. Still not out of the realm of possibilities!!

I will add that the biggest reason at this point NOT to get one is how would I keep my wife out of the driver seat? Not that I would have a problem with her having this car, just keeping her safe is the key. Maybe a speed limiter, LOL.

Don't the new ones still come with a 'Valet Key' like they did with the ZR-1?

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

GM stylist, Bill Mitchell wanted his AeroVette to become reality in 1973, and it almost did.  The only change made from the styling study/concept was a 1" increase in headroom which would have been barely noticeable on the production model.   The poor fuel mileage rotary engines were getting and the energy crisis killed it.

Craig

28 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

If they make a lift for the removable top, why can't they make one for YOU??!?

Craig

Maybe more stupid than clever but I figured out how to remove the hardtop on my C3 alone.  Basically you treat it like a turtle shell.  Not sure I could do that today though.

21 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Give her the valet key!  ;)

• Haha 2

I just dropped off this

2023 Beck Speedster

that had less than 200

original miles to Dave 

in Boyton Beach, Florida.

IMG_8944.jpeg.f64199b745d8f0dc697d43e5de7924f3.jpeg

Dave just sold his 2021 Corvette.

He also cancelled his order for

his 2024 Corvette after several

delays in delivery.

Dave learned that there are transmission problems that

are necessitating the return

of hundreds of  2024 Corvettes

from Bowling Green to Chevy.

That is why Dave canceled

his order and bought the 

Beck Speedster …

Jim

• Haha 1

I think that would work Bill if you had just enough to clear the windshield. I got my idea from an old company 'Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories'. They specialized in Benz and other european models. They had a nice winch system for the later sl's at the time. Me being a semi yankee hillbilly rigged it with a pulley and a couple of eye bolts attached to a wood block in the ceiling.

• Like 1