Woods Automotive building set to be demolished

Once again a builder I have never before heard of is in the news as it’s history is about to be lost. At least the physical part. I am sure some of you know of the company but new to me even though I had driven on the South Michigan Ave. area where it is located a number of years ago.

https://www.aol.com/m/64b0c052-0fef-3268-8895-ca1d5805efc8/south-loop-had-a-hybrid-car.html

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

This building doesnt look too bad. Some that are shown for demo are def. way past their prime and ready to come down. Like some old cars, renovation would far exceed value. In the case of this structure the outside looks solid and looks like its being used currently or at least recently. It would cost a small fortune just to put up the shell at this point. Interior renovation is a given with a 100 year plus bldg. Chicago has some great structures of all types. Would be a shame to see this one go.

• Like 1

Does appear to have good bones and would be criminal to demolish it.

The trouble with historic designation is it severely limits what can be done with a building, and that's why developers try to buy property and keep their plans under the radar before the historians realize what's being done. A sad reality.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:55 PM, rocketraider said:

Does appear to have good bones and would be criminal to demolish it.

The trouble with historic designation is it severely limits what can be done with a building, and that's why developers try to buy property and keep their plans under the radar before the historians realize what's being done. A sad reality.

One of the things we do is historic renovation work. I replaced the doors only on the 1940's addition to one of the oldest church buildings in the state. Took well over a year to get permission to do so!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...