Looking for our family's old car- 65 BelAir

Josh Garrett

I've been trying to find a white 1965 Chevy BelAir, our family had to sell in Glendale, Arizona in the summer of 1990. It was white with blue interior. I can't find a way to track it down. Any suggestions or leads would be greatly appreciated.  It was my great grandpa's car who gave it to my dad.  It broke his heart to sell it but we couldn't afford to move it with us.

Edited by Josh Garrett (see edit history)

• Josh Garrett changed the title to Looking for our family's old car- 65 BelAir

I wish you luck but unless the BelAir got into the hands of someone who appreciated it as your family did, odds of it having survived are slim.

People saved Impala two-door hardtops and convertibles. Biscayne and BelAir sedans, not so much unless it was a two-door sedan with a 396 or 427. Even then people would steal the engine to put in a Chevelle or Camaro and junk the rest of the car. I don't like that aspect of the car hobby but it's reality, unfortunately.

It's not an impossible task. If you have its VIN and a friend in law enforcement, you can run a search for that VIN and find out if it's still registered in the USA. Maybe someone else here on the Forums knows another way.

• Like 1

Glenn's advice about the VIN number is totally correct - if you have that you can know it is indeed the car your family had. If you know it post it here so we can know and maybe just maybe someone can help you further. You give some information but not enough to really have us help you.

3 hours ago, Josh Garrett said:

It was white with blue interior. 

I see very few 1965 Chevrolet Bel Airs.  People tend

to ignore the "ordinary" models and, instead, restore

and cherish the top-of-the-line models, especially

convertibles.  So 1965 Impalas and Super Sports are

plentiful. 

However, there was a white Bel Air sedan with aqua

colored interior for sale maybe 5-10 years ago.  I saved

a couple of pictures from the internet.  I don't suppose

this was your family's?

1965 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan.jpg

1965 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan interior.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Josh Garrett said:

Thanks guys. I've tried to find the VIN but haven't succeeded in that.  My dad did sell it to someone who said he was going to restore it, so I'm hoping it still exists.  Guess I'll keep searching for that VIN.  

The positive:  You'll have to jog your own memory about specific things about it, and then start attending local car shows and hope it appears at one.  The negative:   Start searching the local wrecking yards for it.  

These cars were so common at one time, and rather insignificant other than being reliable transportation, few had little incentive to save them.

Craig

• Like 1

Have you looked in Glendale? If your not in the area maybe go on FB and see about shows that may be in the area. Start asking there. A lot of times the old community can be somewhat small and self contained. If its still out there someone may surely know of it.

8 hours ago, Josh Garrett said:

That looks just like it inside. The top was white originally but otherwise it looks a lot like it. 

Was your car a 4-door sedan?

Bel Airs also offered 2-door sedans.

Since your car survived up to 1990, when your family

sold it, it's very likely that it still exists.  It made it into

"antique" status, and wasn't one that was merely used

and discarded in the years prior.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Josh, if you haven't already you might try looking through dusty old boxes of your dad's,grandpa's or great grandpas stuff  if available as older people worked on a paper filing system that might contain an old insurance card or registration which would provide the VIN number. With the VIN number, your story and your ID you might find a willing and cooperative Glendale Police department or DMV that might reveal who your dad sold it to to give you a start. I wish you the best of luck in locating your great grandpa's old car! McLovin.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, McLovin said:

With the VIN number, your story and your ID you might find a willing and cooperative Glendale Police department or DMV that might reveal who your dad sold it to give you a start. 

First hope is the DMV actually saved all those old paper copies in a row filing cabinets somewhere.

Second hope is, if they actually are still intact is to get someone at the DMV off their butt and go downstairs or upstairs to kindly search through all of them until they find it for you.

Craig

• Like 1