Help Driving a Model A Ford

Steve Moskowitz

A man who owns a company that supplies cars for movies and is a SAG member has been hired to drive a 1930 Model A in a movie.  His cars are apparently all newer and he has never driven a Model A.  He is looking for someone to teach him how to handle the car before he gets on set.  I did not ask him if there would be compensation.  He is located near the George Washington Bridge in New Jersey.

Had a little fun with him at first as he left me a message saying he needed to learn how to drive a 1930 Model T Ford.  I told him it was an impossible car to drive and no one in the country could teach him how to drive the car.  He said that couldn't be true and of course I assured him that it was true! :) Then I told him the 1930 was a Model A.

Seems like a very nice guy...please email me at aaca1@aaca.org and I can get you contact info.

• Haha 2

You might want to reach out to the Model A section over on Fordbarn.com. They have a very active Model A group over there. You could link it back to this post so anyone that could help could contact you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A person owns a company 

that supplies cars to movies 

is asking for driving lessons

so they can do a job they 

are getting compensation 

for - yet they are offering

no compensation to someone 

to help them …. ?

Nope …..

Jim

We do not know if compensation is being offered. Steve did not ask the question. See the 2nd to last sentence in his 1st paragraph. It is however a very reasonable and perhaps a key piece of information to know. I’m sure if it were offered, it would generate interest from our model A members. Similar to a forum member asking for someone to check out a car and compensating that person for their time and expertise. Perhaps a follow up question from Steve to the company owner on compensation is a reasonable next step

• Thanks 1

Wish I lived closer, I'd do it just for the fun of it. Love a chance to drive another "A"!  Aside from the starting procedure and getting used to the car's characteristics, it's not much different than driving any other standard shift car. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Are you sure he didn't get the year wrong and it was in fact a Model T? The T is the one that's hard to figure out how to drive. The A is relatively easy being a 3 speed

Yes I am SURE I got the year right and he did!  He just assumed all early Ford's were Model T's.  I discussed that difference between the T and the A.  It is a 1930 Model A and the movie takes place in the 30's.

As far as compensation goes, I will leave it up to others if they have an interest to contact him.  I have his contact info.  $$$ None of my business, just trying to help a guy out.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jpage said:

Wish I lived closer, I'd do it just for the fun of it. Love a chance to drive another "A"!  Aside from the starting procedure and getting used to the car's characteristics, it's not much different than driving any other standard shift car. 

I tried to tell him that and explain things to him. Think the controls to start have him a bit concerned. He saw a You Tube video but wants a hands on experience. Just wants to do a professional job...he does not have the Model A in his possession so it would have to be with someone who has an A. 

• Like 1

It was not my intention that Steve negotiate any level of compensation. He’s got more than enough on his plate. Agree with him that is between any interested party and the company owner. I was only suggesting a follow up question on whether compensation would be considered: yes or no. I did not articulate that well. I only responded b/c one forum member assumed there was no compensation and said he was out. Since that member is a frequent contributor and his opinion may be influential on this forum, someone who was thinking of doing it may have been persuaded to pass. Just thought we could get some clarification. We have very generous individuals here and many may offer to do it to help out so maybe this is a moot issue

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Understand...I probably should have asked the question but I was the only one here yesterday afternoon and the phones were ringing.  Just wanted tot try and help the guy. I love your last sentence as most guys I know in the hobby are very generous with their time, knowledge, etc. and are always helping people without any regard to compensation.  It has been part of the bedrock of our hobby for years.  I know I have benefitted from it, especially when I was a greenhorn in the hobby.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Because....he has done a lot of work for this film company in the past and is a member of the union.  The person hired has a lot of cars he has used for movies (it is a business for him) and felt he would have no problem once someone showed him the ropes. If he knew a competent Model A driver he probably would never have made the call seeking help!  None of this really matters does it?  Simply, I am trying to help someone who requested help of AACA.  Do this all the time and never question why.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2