1970 Riviera GS Breather Decal.

RRbow70RivGS

This copied and pasted from the article “How tomID a Gran Sport:”

1970 GS

The new 455ci engine was introduced in 1970 and was installed in the restyled body of the 1970 Riviera. This new look included exposed headlight for the first time since 1964 and fender skirts for the only time on a Riviera. The shirts were available in full or short styles. Another option was a wide spear that ran along the side bodylines. The 1970 was in many ways a one of a kind design, however when it came to the GS option it was just a ride & handling package, with a posi rear and an axle ratio of 3.42. Only one engine was available for the Riviera in 1970, but what an engine! The first 455 ci had the highest recorded horsepower rating of any Riviera ever made. According to Buick's figures it was rated at 370hp. The GS option did include a chrome air cleaner lid as an appearance item for the engine. Otherwise the engine remained unchanged. Based on Buick literature the engine was a Stage1, however the name was not used for the Riviera in 1970. The red GS emblem was attached to the front fenders, in front of the front wheels, just above the sidelights, not behind as in previous years and there was no Riviera script on the fenders of the '70. Despite what some Buick literature states there were no GS emblems used on the dash.

Mention is made of a chrome lid for the air cleaner, but nothing about the decal. A search of 1970 Rivera GSs on Google images shows lots of engines but none with a chrome lid???  The decals were consistent though. A red “455-4” decal to the left of the 455 is a Buick tri-shield.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks RivNut I was hoping you would reply.  I have seen several different decals in a vast Google search ranging from standard 455-4 to the the Stage 1 decal from a GS as though just the lid was taken off one of the air ducted units and placed in the Rivi etc.  Thanks again.

I was thinking the 70 GS chrome lid did not have a decal?? I know 71 did not have decal so may be confusing the two. It was common for owners to add the decal on 71s thinking it actually belonged and factory forgot it, or it fell off. 

I do know factually the 68 (430) chrome lid did not have a decal

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JZRIV said:

I was thinking the 70 GS chrome lid did not have a decal?? I know 71 did not have decal so may be confusing the two. It was common for owners to add the decal on 71s thinking it actually belonged and factory forgot it, or it fell off. 

I do know factually the 68 (430) chrome lid did not have a decal

I doubt the chrome air cleaner lid on the 1970 Riviera GS had a decal based on my experience and also as we know the 68 and 71 Riviera GS models did not have a decal. 

Further, I believe it is a much cleaner look without the decal.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the assistance.  I believe JZRIV is correct.  For the 1970 Riviera GS I think they just slapped a chrome breather lid on it and called it good.

I suppose in the end it just another goofy thing they did in '70 to make a one year only car.  I didn't say this in the introduction but this is actually my daughter's

car.  She picked it out when she was 15 and it sat for a while waiting its turn but we finally started working on it.  She had done a lot of the work herself and has

helped me in everything I have done to it.  It is her pride and joy and a literal mainstay at local car shows and cruise ins etc.

I have been looking for a chrome top for while and finally found one.  It is to be a Christmas present this year and about the last missing piece for the car.  Without

telling her I had one, I mentioned that I joined this site and found there were no decals on the chrome lid.  She didn't take this very well. LOL. She said in no

uncertain terms that she didn't care, she wants decals on it.  She said Buick owes her that much since they some how let a Riviera get away with out power

windows.  LMAO.  That's my Girl and her Green on Green on Green '70 GS Riviera.  Power seats and AC with manual windows and door locks.

So since that is basically what I do for a living, here is what I created for her for Christmas this year.  Hopefully it will not offend any purists, if so my apologies in

advance.  As for Zoe she doesn't care!  LOL.  Thanks again hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy and safe New Years.

20231201_072926.jpg

• Like 4

Looks really nice, I’m sure she’ll love it.  As far as being authentic, I’m doubting that anyone looking at it in one of her cars shows would know the difference.  It took a lot of opinions from the Riviera guys on this forum to figure it out. No way some Chevy, Ford, or Mopar guy will know.  She’ll just have to know what a Stage 1 is so she can answer questions.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Looks really nice, I’m sure she’ll love it.  As far as being authentic, I’m doubting that anyone looking at it in one of her cars shows would know the difference.  It took a lot of opinions from the Riviera guys on this forum to figure it out. No way some Chevy, Ford, or Mopar guy will know.  She’ll just have to know what a Stage 1 is so she can answer questions.  

39 minutes ago, RRbow70RivGS said:

Thank you for all the assistance.  I believe JZRIV is correct.  For the 1970 Riviera GS I think they just slapped a chrome breather lid on it and called it good.

I suppose in the end it just another goofy thing they did in '70 to make a one year only car.  I didn't say this in the introduction but this is actually my daughter's

car.  She picked it out when she was 15 and it sat for a while waiting its turn but we finally started working on it.  She had done a lot of the work herself and has

helped me in everything I have done to it.  It is her pride and joy and a literal mainstay at local car shows and cruise ins etc.

I have been looking for a chrome top for while and finally found one.  It is to be a Christmas present this year and about the last missing piece for the car.  Without

telling her I had one, I mentioned that I joined this site and found there were no decals on the chrome lid.  She didn't take this very well. LOL. She said in no

uncertain terms that she didn't care, she wants decals on it.  She said Buick owes her that much since they some how let a Riviera get away with out power

windows.  LMAO.  That's my Girl and her Green on Green on Green '70 GS Riviera.  Power seats and AC with manual windows and door locks.

So since that is basically what I do for a living, here is what I created for her for Christmas this year.  Hopefully it will not offend any purists, if so my apologies in

advance.  As for Zoe she doesn't care!  LOL.  Thanks again hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy and safe New Years.

20231201_072926.jpg

Get her a Stage 1 emblem for the grill while you are at it!  😁

• Like 1

She will be excited.  She has become quite the Buick Girl.  She is 23 now and just about had a fit a few months ago when

she found a '63 Rivi that needed a new home.  It is all original, 425 car, Granda Red, Black interior.  It was wearing a very

cool set of vintage Crager GTs including all 4 GT Caps.  She already has Cragers off and has started restoring them.

20230930_191022.jpg

20230819_113203.jpg

View rece.jpg

20230918_154035.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RRbow70RivGS said:

She will be excited.  She has become quite the Buick Girl.  She is 23 now and just about had a fit a few months ago when

she found a '63 Rivi that needed a new home.  It is all original, 425 car, Granda Red, Black interior.  It was wearing a very

cool set of vintage Crager GTs including all 4 GT Caps.  She already has Cragers off and has started restoring them.

20230930_191022.jpg

20230819_113203.jpg

View rece.jpg

20230918_154035.jpg

That one should keep Zoe busy!!!