Not Mine - 1923 CARDWAY TOURING 4 DOOR in Sarnia, ON N7T 7H2 - Online Auction Closing on 11/22

I have no affiliation with the car or the listing. 

Listing info:

RIGHT HAND DRIVE - ESTATE CAR - RUNS GOOD - BELIEVED TO BE THE ONLY ONE KNOWN TO EXIST. BELIEVED THAT ONLY 6 WERE BUILT - 3507 MILES SHOWING

Auction Link: https://hibid.com/lot/174571077/1923-cardway-touring-4-door?ref=lot-list

Auctioneer Information: Shackelton Auctions Inc.   519-765-4450

image.png.9707d0ce913d929cdef4beb4ec8c3aa4.png

image.png.3f16b0788dde572b7e8ceded091b1388.png

image.png.3ffe0eeb7082abdef01edec644b1fa74.png

image.png.331e32289b57e7c2e9a7b90a4f869440.png

image.png.79666e390cbd56c6d958ad8b3707652a.png

image.png.064fe89c19255459e00e7283e20c590d.png

• Like 6

According to the Standard Catalog, the engine is Continental and most components were purchased. Body design by Colonel Fredrick Cardway who owned the company. We was interested in export, so they were all right hand drive. Looks nice, probably another instance where rare does not equal valuable.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sal Hepatica said:

I'm fairly knowledgeable about obscure makes, but this is one I've never hear of. I commented to an astute car buddy about it and he replied; "Nobody else has heard of it, either!".

One of many "assembled" cars from the era.

I'd not heard of CARDWAY before,

but kind of reminds me of my friend's HENWAY -

When I asked him What's a HENWAY,

--- he responded "Maybe Three Pounds !"

Ba Da Boom  - Ching !

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Ba Da Boom  - Ching !

See yourself out to the exit stage right Marty LOL!!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

I believe that joke is older than the combined ages of ALL of us on this forum 😂😂

BUT……I still laugh every time I hear it used!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As horrible as war is, almost always a lot of businessmen make a bunch of money providing the tools for war for a short time. Then after the war, they have factories and other facilities and no more temporary market to sell to. So it was after the end of the "Great War", long since renamed World War One. In the two to three years that followed, dozens of businessmen fancied themselves to become automobile manufacturers. I am sure that with a little research, one could find a couple dozen names of automobile startup companies building "assembled" cars of mediocre design for less than four years. Some never got past a prototype or two. A few made maybe a thousand cars total. Practically all of them combined are little more than a footnote in history books. Only a very few are actually considered desirable, or really valuable.

Fear of unknown orphans keeps most hobbyists away from even considering owning one of those oddities. The sad part is, that being "assembled" cars means most of the major parts are actually ones used by several other companies! Rear end, transmission, and even the engine may not be commonplace, however, hopefully not all the surviving parts were recently shipped to China? A given Continental Red Seal engine of a given series was practically the same regardless of what car it was in. While not quite the same thing, the Warner Gear T68A-1 transmission that donated the parts needed for my 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan was out of a Jordan!

• Like 2

Although and since not too much is known it is pure conjecture where the body was sourced. It is interesting no one has mentioned this but the body seems to have very similar distinctive lines as the Cole Aero Eight's although the hood/cowl are perhaps a touch flatter or not as high.

On 11/19/2023 at 3:23 AM, wayne sheldon said:

As horrible as war is, almost always a lot of businessmen make a bunch of money providing the tools for war for a short time. Then after the war, they have factories and other facilities and no more temporary market to sell to. So it was after the end of the "Great War", long since renamed World War One. In the two to three years that followed, dozens of businessmen fancied themselves to become automobile manufacturers. I am sure that with a little research, one could find a couple dozen names of automobile startup companies building "assembled" cars of mediocre design for less than four years. Some never got past a prototype or two. A few made maybe a thousand cars total. Practically all of them combined are little more than a footnote in history books. Only a very few are actually considered desirable, or really valuable.

Fear of unknown orphans keeps most hobbyists away from even considering owning one of those oddities. The sad part is, that being "assembled" cars means most of the major parts are actually ones used by several other companies! Rear end, transmission, and even the engine may not be commonplace, however, hopefully not all the surviving parts were recently shipped to China? A given Continental Red Seal engine of a given series was practically the same regardless of what car it was in. While not quite the same thing, the Warner Gear T68A-1 transmission that donated the parts needed for my 1927 Paige 6-45 sedan was out of a Jordan!

Right you are Wayne! It's the American way! I recently read that there were 3.4 million cars registered in the US in 1916 but by 1929 that number had zoomed to 23.1 million. I remember when personal computers first came out in the late 80's there were hundreds of start-ups making them. Mine came from Radio Shack! 

There was a period about 2008 when I received more than 5 calls a week from people who were starting a business to produce photo electric (solar) panels. To quote Jimmy Durante "Everybody wants to get into the act!" 

Edited by Leif in Calif (see edit history)
  • Like 1