1928 Buick Standard Six Model 24 Roadster- $17,500

Ad says nothing about it's condition and the pictures show almost nothing but what you can see looks nice!

(interior correct?) 

https://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/d/stockton-1928-buick-standard-six-model/7686452259.html

Buick Standard Six Model 24 Sport Roadster
Green with black fenders over green interior, and power comes from a 207ci inline-six paired with a three-speed manual transmission. Features include a tan soft top, a rumble seat, a rear-mounted spare tire, a golf bag door, and cowl lamps. This Buick comes with a Marvel T3 carburetor and a clean title.
You can txt me at:
7.2.Zero 9.Two.4 9.7.Zero.Nine

image.png.1871ccfd7f46adcbe0f2cc0c160d4424.pngimage.png.412720711e69197b7d4a4a5bcb236d91.pngimage.png.6432154f10f16b3bf15a111448119c5c.pngimage.png.0df5684d62bb28937f2740442b50d332.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Maybe it's just me but I like natural wood colored wheels. Looks rich. 

Nice car. I'll bet it drives nice. 

Natural wood wheels are usually incorrect.  Most often they came painted from the factory.  I usually do not like the looks of them but they do look nice here.   This car has to be a deal!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

The rare Hyde of the Nauga for seating.

Should the seats have been leather? That looks like a pretty nice upholstery job to naive old me. Since I am hoping to have a 1928 coupe of mine redone in a few years, I'd appreciate some additional critical comments.

Phil

I believe all Buick enclosed body styles used mohair for the interiors. 1928, most sedans had a printed pattern on the mohair which I haven't seen in a restoration ever. However, there are quite a few Buicks that year with very nice original interiors. My dad had a 1928 Buick Master seven passenger sedan in poor condition a long time ago. He never did anything with it, and the interior was not in good condition, but the pattern was still very obvious. He also had a 1928 standard sedan in even worse condition (they came as a set) which also had a similar pattern. Since then I have seen several 1928 Buicks with very nice original interiors. All with that pattern in the mohair. I do not know how many other years had the patterned upholstery, earlier or later I just don't know.

I have seen a few franklin automobiles with leather interiors, and Dodge offered "business" coupes and sedans with imitation leather (imitation nauga?) through most of the 1920s. I have seen more than a dozen Dodges with more or less intact original imitation leather interiors.

A surprising number of high end Classics in the 1920s and early 1930s did offer the option, however it appears to have been done rarely. Not a whole lot of other manufacturers seemed to offer that option on enclosed cars. And if they did, it was mostly just the business coupes. Trucks of course are another matter. Most of them were imitation leather for whatever little upholstery they had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pmhowe said:

Should the seats have been leather? That looks like a pretty nice upholstery job to naive old me. Since I am hoping to have a 1928 coupe of mine redone in a few years, I'd appreciate some additional critical comments

Think about it this way. Only since the mid to late 60s did leather become “luxury”. Before that leather was “utility”. 

You put leather in an open car because it held up against the elements, not because it was luxurious or fashionable.  

Open cars (pre-war) were typically cheaper than the top line sedans. The top line closed cars were the objects of desire.  A top line closed car was what a moneyed person bought. 
Cloth is much more comfortable as an interior trim than leather.  Cloth is warm in winter and cool in summer.  But it is not as durable as the utilitarian leather. 

Look at the most expensive pre-war cars (limousines and town cars) and you’ll see the owner sits on cloth and the employee (chauffeur) sits on leather. 

Vinyl is/was cheaper than leather so it was used in trucks and those Dodge business sedans which were offering maximum utility for the minimum price. 

Yes this Buick roadster seems to have used the hide of the Nauga (vinyl) for the restoration.  Can’t fault the owner.

A genuine leather interior typically runs in the $10,000 range. You buy the hides individually (estimating your needs and you always buy more than you need) but then you find a trimmer who is skilled at working with genuine leather.  Cutting and sewing leather is very different than working with cloth. (If you make a mistake with vinyl you can throw it away and start over). These trimmers are fewer in number and of course charge more.  

So this Buick roadster, if it had a leather interior, would you pay $10,000 more for it?  
At $17,000 we agree that it’s a good value. At $27,000 I don’t think it would get those comments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just have to say, I really like what m-mman said! He really explained well the era perception of leather versus "imitation" leather versus cloth for automobile interiors.

Traveling businessmen and salesmen spent a lot of time in their business cars going from place to place to show their offerings. Many thousands of miles were put on those cars with boxes, usually made of wood with sharp corners, sitting on the seats. People in those days had not yet become so used to comfort that they had to have a plush soft cloth seat for themselves (although the plush comfortable automobiles of that era went a long way to further that desire for constant comfort). The more durable interiors saved money and improved profitability for businessmen on the move.

I think the most comfortable seats I have ever sat upon were the properly redone or original automobile interiors of enclosed cars from the 1920s! One of the other "not mine" cars shared has been both criticized and defended for having modern seats replacing the original front seats. Comments defending the replacement made remarks to the effect of greater comfort for the people in the car. My immediate reaction to myself was "have you ever sat on the correct seats of that era?"

I should add, that in the case of that particular car, the front passenger seat was a folding jump seat, and therefore the comfort comment may be appropriate for that one seat. However, I have personally sat in the driver's seat of a couple nearly identical cars! NO modern era automobile I have ever sat in comes close to the comfort of that seat! The rear seat is even nicer.

• Like 2