Oil change, oil leak, oil capacity - 1963 Buick 401 nailhead

JonW

My '63 LeSabre has a 401 nailhead in it. It has always had a minor oil leak, even after being rebuilt. Part of being an old car. While we were on the road, I had the oil changed at a Buick dealership. When we got home, I noticed a massive oil leak. I checked the oil level and it was right at or just a hair above the full line. It has sat since, and when I pulled it out today, there was a lot of oil in the drip pan.

I'm taking it to a trusted shop tomorrow. My first thought is to remove the oil filter, dump it out, and drain the oil. Then go back from scratch with the proper amount. Maybe we'll see what the oil leak is when it's on the rack.

After dumping the filter and draining the oil, how much should be put in?

I believe the correct fill is 5 quarts when the filter is changed.  The pan volume should be 4 quarts.  I suggest draining the oil and changing the filter, as you plan.  Add 4 quarts of oil, let the car stand for 2 or 3 minutes and then check the oil level on the dipstick.  It should show at the FULL mark.  If that checks out, then start the engine, while idling check for leaks, shut it down and let it sit for 5 minutes.  Check the level on the dipstick again.  It should show somewhere between 1 pint to 1 quart low.  Add the amount necessary to bring the level to FULL.  Running a pint low doesn't hurt anything and helps to not overwhelm worn gaskets and seals with excessive crankcase windage.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

I always filled the new filter with clean engine oil BEFORE installing it to get oil pressure quickly on initial start. Then as EmTee suggests check and top up as required. The longer you can leave it before checking, the more accurate the level will be.

Just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 2

On 10/21/2023 at 11:36 AM, rocketraider said:

How was your experience getting a modern GM dealer to change oil in a 60 year old car?

As in did they have a correct filter in stock, an appropriate weight oil for a Nailhead, things like that.

Did they know how to check the oil or where to put it?............Bob

• Haha 2