source for emergency brake band lining

After relining the brake bands, the rear wheel would not go on the axle.  What I found is the new 3/16" lining on the emergency bands was too thick, verified by placing the band in the drum and stuffing a 1" wide wood block into the band gap, which duplicates the block on the backing plate.  The band is completely stuck.  Another band with old lining has proper clearance.   I assume the lining should be 5/32" x 1-3/4 but have not found a supplier yet.  The main brake band lining came from Mcmaster-carr but the thinnest listed on their website is 3/16".  Ford emergency brake band lining is 5/32" so I know somebody is making it.  What other supplier sells 5/32" x 1-3/4" lining ? 

Kevin 

bandinstalled.jpg

new lining.jpg

old lining.jpg

Kevin:

I know when I did the E brakes on my Standard I had to use a belt sander to get the 5/32 thickness. I bought my new woven brass lining material from Chicago Brake and Clutch at the time. I did acquire a roll of 5/32........ but it is very old and made of ...........the other stuff.

• Haha 1

I had the same problem with my '18 E-45.

I ended up making a crude (but effective) mount for the brake band and machined the thicker lining down in my lathe so it would fit the drum.

I was very pleased with the outcome.

Note the band material isnt perfect on the band where the rivets are.

The original return spring is quite unique. Some years back a friend and I had exact replacements made. My friend had them, but he has passed. I think some of them were sold to Bobs Automovilia. While not lieted, he may still have some.

It is a bear to install properly on an '18

CIMG3935.JPG

• Like 1

My lathe is a 9" SB so its too small to load and turn a band that fits into a 14" brake drum.

I bought new 12mm springs to replace the broken old 1/2" dia springs, then rebent the ends to offset the hook like the original.  Unfortunately the keeper digs into the spring when installed on the backing plate which I think will prevent the brake from retracting properly. The old spring has a flat spot worn on the side from this interference.  I bought another pair of 10mm springs to see if they will clear the keeper. 

Kevin 

spring.jpg

springs2.jpg

On the '18, the spring goes against the backing plate so it doesnt foul that retainer - there is clearance. It is a bear to install.

Here is a photo of our replacements.

My lathe is a 15" swing and, as you can see, I had to use a boring bar to reach around the band to machine it.

CIMG3879.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...