RESEARCH INFORMTION: Klepfer Brothers - Buffalo and Depew, NY

Walt G

AT Hershey I purchased a number of car mascots/motor meters. Among them was one motor meter that says Klepfer Brothers on it and Depew and Buffalo , NY

they were Buick agents BUT were they also dealers for any other car? if so what? do the buildings they had the dealerships in still survive?

Does anyone have a brochure stamped with their name on it?  I know one brother passed away in 1996. Just starting the research now and will pen a story that will be offered to AACA or the BCA whom ever has interest or the room to publish . Another obscure bit of vehicle history - the motor meter has a casting around the glass tube with their name and towns on it! Dates from the mid 1920s . Odd and cool - my kinda stuff.

Thanks,

Walt

• Like 2

Want to hold off posting a photo as that would be the basis for the story. Really unusual weird casting specific to that dealership(s) . I have never seen anything like this before.

Just got it cleaned off today after an overnight soak in Simple Green.  4 hours total cleaning  a defunct part to tell if a car is running at an acceptable temperature a century ago ........

Walt:

On the list of Buffalo, NY new car dealerships gleaned from a 1961 Buffalo Evening News: Klepfer Brothers Buick-Opel ,1575 Main Street, phone TT3-8000.  I recall hearing their radio advertising on both WKBW and WBEN, the AM stations.  

Buffalo also had the following Buick dealerships:

Knoche Buick-Cadillac inc. 252 Main Street, Hamburg, NY 

Jack Stevens Buick, 1040 Hertel Avenue, Buffalo

Millian Buick, 363 Delaware, Tonawanda

Bartlett Buick, 3076 Main, Buffalo.

Steve

• Thanks 1

@Walt G After doing a little research I believe the current building at 1575 Main St in Buffalo was one of the locations still standing. It's currently a Metro Self Storage (see Google street view below). I would bet it was added onto at one point but looks like the same structure at the base of the columns. Keep in mind the article mentions a rear entry from the Michigan side which is the street just east of Main St which would indeed be the back of this building if I'm correct. County Accessors office may be able to help steer you in the right direction and possibly help with other locations for Klepfer from there. Good luck

image.png.854a9a139411ea9690a1fd1614d14043.png

image.png.6a86dd64755cd996a257b18c211a9eb2.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks, I saw that as well , I love cars, trucks  and architecture and their combination of their place in history. Most all of this now goes unnoticed.

It seems the family name was still around into the 1990s but no longer in the automotive trade.

Thanks again.

I am 60 miles from downtown Buffalo and would be happy to run up to The Blackthorn Restaurant for lunch and do a little research. A favorite spot.

image.jpeg.1c8e09cdb9abd8751eb4b26894344c1b.jpeg

In the 1990s our Cadillac Club held shows at Tinny Cadillac which was the old Pierce-Arrow showroom along that section of Main St. Here is a picture of my daily driver '56 Holiday 88 one storefront away at Streng Oldsmobile while the show went on in the parking lot just to the left in the picture. Lots of great car history in Buffalo.

001.jpg.d3b23961ee8356ea76e055610b10517c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1