Hershey shopping Hi and low points

Steve_Mack_CT

So yesterday I spent 15 minutes or so happily polishing the clean original gas cap I picked up from one of the bigger Packard vendors last week, shined up nicely!  So, I went out to the garage and...Rats.  the cap doesn't fit and it is presumably for a Sr. Car as I understand the filler is a size bigger..

Mildly pissed but the older gent I bought it from spent 15 minutes discussing 40 Packards and I did learn a few things from him... 

Then I get a message from my pal Tom Laferriere who said someone tossed a much needed part with my name on it (carb heat shield) in his 28 Packard that he just found while unpacking.  I will give a shout out once I confirm who but I believe it is another forum member.  Made my day.  😊

Then I woke up this AM and it was back to work! Eh, turned 60 at Hershey - not a bad place to be on your birthday and not too far from every day being a weekend day so all good..

Anyone else have any nice surprises last week?

• Like 8

Yes, two big surprises... 1. My good friend, John Biggs from Great Britain showed up at my spot and we talked for about an hour or so about the world of cars.  2. I found a never used Dodd overhead set-up for the Model A. Got a deal from another friend, Tom Ruggles...

20231004_075402.jpg

• Like 7

What I bought at Hershey I knew was coming - sort of. Had talked via email etc to the people who brought the things I liked and did acquire. Here are two group pictures. The ornaments are from a collection of a fellow who collected in the late 1940s/early 1950s all need a thorough cleaning are part 2 as part one of the collection came 6 months ago. Some really weird stuff and I already have a article in the works for the BCA on one of them. The oval exterior handles came from The Handleman - the great Rich B. my son picked them up as I was toast from the heat of the day . I love the oval coach handles as they are a direct descendant of those that were fitted to horse drawn carriages produced by the same builders in many cases that went on to produce car coach work. Why do i collect this stuff? well it makes me happy and feel good to look at the way they were designed and then manufactured. Nothing styled or produced by the push of a button. I am an artist, studied and taught art for many decades and then add in car lover and storyteller/historian - well now you know why. Sure all of what you see here needs work - enough there to last me until this time next year at least. I couldn't be more pleased. And yes I did get some supply of Moxie to taste while doing so ( Dietrich's meats in Pa, had it in cardboard cases , Cracker Barrel only in individual bottles for those of you who like it)

MASCOTS2023.jpg

HandlesOVAL2023.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Thanks Walt, seeing what others bought is always fun. I delivered a wheel that was bought on line and met the buyer for the first time, always fun to meet someone with like interests for the first time. He had a GREAT meet kept stopping buy to share the finds of his day. I had a needed hood delivered, that my sales covered. Never went out shopping for stuff to flip, some years are like that. Missed having the Grandkids with us for the first time, but having our dog along for the first time was a lot of fun. Will be back in 2024 for 55 in a row. Thanks to everyone that makes the happiness happen. 

Bob

• Like 3

I didn't walk around much, my hearing loss affects my balance and the heat one day , then the rain - well it is what it is. I had great visits with many people.

Hershey is an international festival/event. Friends from England, Brazil. etc. the combination SAH/AACA event on Tuesday afternoon was outstanding! the book signing by SAH for authors, the sales of surplus duplicate paper by AACA so pleased that those two organizations had that combined event that was a great benefit to both.

Acquiring "stuff" is just wonderful BUT it is all about the people and the sharing.

I am just so thankful I am still around to participate , and my son is along and is enthusiastic as I am. I appreciate his support and patience.  It is the camaraderie of like minded souls and the memories of those who once were there . Oh the stories we all have and can tell of the experiences of the greatest show on earth - all due to the efforts of just so many volunteers of AACA.

Bob , your last line says it all -

Walt

• Like 3

It was great visiting with everyone - especially Walt!  We email and post on the forums all year, but Hershey time is always special. Could have spent a day there.  Here is a find from Hershey that I've already got space for on my wall-it's a great early print of a brass-era motorist barrelling down the road, fur coat flying in the breeze, goggles on, firm grip on the wheel. I can almost hear the roar of the car he's driving!   It was a good year for spark plugs too, and there were some great advertising smalls, a few pins, and as usual, a piece of brass or so.  Added a nice brass dashboard clock to the collection - it's still ticking away on my desk.

Terry

Print - the Mad Motorisst.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1