Magneto rebuilders

John Kelso

Guy in Connecticut is well known and very popular. He is usually 6-12 months backed up from the last time I called him........

I used this guy..........for 45 bucks more he turns it around in two weeks. Did a great job on my White. 

http://www.rebuiltmags.com

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

A friend of mine has used the place in Maine several times, always with excellent results. I'll probably send the mag for my Mitchell there.

Mainely Magneto is just up the road from me. Never been to the shop though!

• Thanks 1

Mark's in Connecticut is very good. I had a magneto die about two weeks before a show this past spring and called him. I told him him that I needed it yesterday and guess what, he did it. Great service...

Frank

• Like 3

13 hours ago, oldford said:

Mark's in Connecticut is very good. I had a magneto die about two weeks before a show this past spring and called him. I told him him that I needed it yesterday and guess what, he did it. Great service...

Frank

Having been in the restoration business for years.........most people "need it right away" even though the car hasn't run in forty years...........just saying. Glad he got yours turned around so fast. In the world of cars he seems to be the number one choice of the big collectors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody in Florida?

I wonder if the airboaters using airplane engines could rehab the old ones (mines a 1922 Bosch)? Would it be that much different. Mines in great shape physically just needs magnetization I suppose.

Guys, I have been involved in electronics for as long as I can remember and had to learn how those irritating Magnetos actually work,  My '15 Dodge Brothers had a Eisenman G4 mag from the factory and it quit dead on the exit ramp of a ferry while on a tour.  How embarrasing. I had it repaired and all was well until it again years later in the middle of a 4 lane freeway intersection on a tour It just quit like someone flipped a switch. This time I disassembled it to find why for myself. You all know how to shut off an engine with a mag is by shorting the armature to ground thus eliminating the field build up to collapse when the armature is in alignment with the Horeshoe magnets. There are points in one end of the armature AND yes, a capacitor in the opposite end of that armature behind a bakelite High tension insulating wafer. In basic theory the magneto is not too electrically different from the common coil and distributor ignition system. The coil (in distributor system) is like the winding on the magneto armature with points normally closed while the armature is rotating to a position where its poles are in alignment with those magnets , and at the right time those points open allowing that armature field to collapse causing the spark. As mentioned, there is a capacitor , usually in the opposite end of that armature, which is in parallel with the points connecting the windings of that armature and just like the capacitor in the coil and distributor system can cause the system to QUIT. Suffice it to say a decreasing magnetism in those magnets is NOT likely to cause a MAG to just QUIT! My favorite mantra is 'Every connection is a potential DIS-connection" AND NO I do not wish to work on anyone else's MAG.! I hope this helps understand the Magneto system. 

• Like 2