1937 dodge clutch problems

panelbeater1234

Hi to you all in the usa i have a 1937 dodge sedan and have prob trying to change or put vehicle into gear the car is on 4 jack stands and when i run vehicle in idle clutch is pushed down and  wont engage gear  .new clutch  fitted to it   Before i start to remove gear box i thought i would ask some one there thoughts  before ripping in to dismantle parts   Regards John

Rustey before i started the motor i put it into  Reverse gear and ran it again and the rear hub was turning  then pushed the clutch down and still the drive shaft was still turning  makes me think it is the clutch area to next to look at  what are your thoughts ????  john schicker                                    

p

Is this a new clutch that was just installed, or has the car run with it before?  Wondering if it's just stuck or if there is an issue with the adjustment or installation. 

If the rear wheels are off the ground it is difficult to assess clutch activity.

When the foot is off the pedal the disc is pinched to transfer power.  

When the foot is pushing the pedal the disc is no longer pinched BUT it can drag just enough or have just enough momentum to turn the wheel/driveshaft. 

Testing: put the rear wheels back on the ground. (Use brake and wheel chocks). Place shifter in neutral. Start and run engine long enough that it will start easily. 

Turn engine off. 

Place shifter in gear. 3rd is a good choice.   
put foot on clutch, hold foot on clutch. Start engine. 
Engine should spin and start easily.  IF it tries to move (foot still on pedal) or won’t crank and start easily then the disc is stuck to the flywheel. 

Now foot on pedal, engine starts and runs easily.  Shifter still in 3rd gear. 
Move shifter to neutral (keep foot on pedal) then try to put back in 3rd. 

If clutch is released (foot on pedal) the transmission gears will not spin and you can move shifter into and out of any gear as if the engine is off. 

If you have a clutch that is dragging then with engine started in gear (foot always on pedal) you will not move be able to move lever between gears easily.  It will seem like trying to move shifter with foot off the clutch pedal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WPVT said:

Some background would be helpful. Was the car in storage or sitting unused for a long period ?  

He says he just installed a new clutch. I suspect the clutch plate is too thick  or something not right, and the clutch is dragging. Or it could be out of adjustment. It could be stuck if it sat unused for a long time but that does not seem to be the case here.

Yes the car has been in storage for about 4 years  .New Clutch installed  i forgot to mention that i have installed in all brake cylinders  stainless inserts  so the next thing before i look at the clutch to blead the brakes and then  i am going to start the car and put it into 3 gear and apply the brakes and see if it frees the clutch  .Will keep you posted on what happens  as you can read i don't wont to rush in and remove the gearbox and clutch and start again  that's why i am asking for some one that's been down that road .....John schicker

• 1 month later...

hi to all you good blokes the answered my cons earn as regards the clutch prob on the dodge 1937  .finely removed the clutch from the bell housing   as i said the clutch was brand new and been siting in car about 4 years  it was stuck real hard on the gearbox ie towards the rear  round steel face placed a screw driver under it and then it came away the steel round facing was very Rustay  cleaned up with sand paper and a little brake cleaner  when looking at the facing ie spring side to rear of car and smooth to  flywheel    Regards john

You said you just put in a new clutch. You did not say you left it sitting for 4 years. If I had known that, I would have told you how to free it off without taking it all apart. Too late now, all's well that ends well.

I would suggest you cut a stick to fit between the dash board and clutch pedal, to prop the pedal all the way down when the car is out of service for more than a month. If you do that it won't get stuck again.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 4:34 PM, m-mman said:

If the rear wheels are off the ground it is difficult to assess clutch activity.

When the foot is off the pedal the disc is pinched to transfer power.  

When the foot is pushing the pedal the disc is no longer pinched BUT it can drag just enough or have just enough momentum to turn the wheel/driveshaft. 

That's what happened to my 48 DeSoto.  I put in a rebuilt clutch, but it wouldn't disengage when I pushed the pedal down.  I took the clutch into Southland clutch and they showed me that my rebuilt clutch was not rebuilt right.  So the made me a new clutch and that one worked.  You might want to look at Flathead Terry's video on his 37 Plymouth clutch.  He covers everything.