looking after chrome

31 LaSalle

Heated storage is worth the extra. Avoid temperature changes and condensation. I maintain a 40 degree minimum all winter and raise it if I work which is not often in winter. My seasonal cost is about $300 for natural gas. Four cars in the garage comes out to $75 per car. I have been heating that way for about ten years. I can tell the cars are doing better.

IMG_0345(1).JPG.fc3d3aabf3bf4f5772ca86e1e68114f4.JPG

• Thanks 2

T-9 Boeshield is a spray anti-corrosion oil that works well on un-painted steel parts and would protect your chrome.  Not cheap but it was developed by Boeing to protect crucial aircraft parts.  Also available in liquid 1oz and gallons.

Amazon.com: Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubrication 4 oz aerosol by Boeshield : Industrial & Scientific

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Heated storage is worth the extra.

I agree.  My home shop has radiant floor heat from a used water heater.  My son and I installed it before the slab was poured.  PEX tubing, a TACO recirculating pump, & water heater totaled about $300.   It is very cost effective to run because it heats objects not the air.  I can park a soaking wet car in there and it will be bone dry in 2 hours.

Shop 010.jpg

Shop Door View.jpg

• Like 4

My garage was built in 1953- concrete block 2 car with a bit of extra space. My father and grandfather were masons ( ie brick , stone and block layers) . When I took over the house I had a 6 foot extension added to the front, new insulated garage door added, and then framed out and insulated the walls with blown in insulation, the ceiling got very thick fiberglass insulation and everything was sheet rocked with vapor barriers. Had electric heat unit hung from the rear ceiling - big unit. I too keep it at 40 degrees or so- concrete floor, and the heat takes away the dampness. A friend commented that the walls inside the garage are better finished off then the walls inside his house! ( that is just the way I am , only know how to do things one way - the right and best way the first time around, it is in my blood ) My old cars get driven, I have no interest in awards so do not have them judged, no room for a trailer or truck to pull same, cars have wheels they are made to be driven.

• Like 5