What do you do when your restorer becomes ill

MKulina

Even though the original poster may not be back to review this thread, I am glad to be reading it.  I had taken an engine to a "rebuilder" who had a full impressive shop and I would check up on it every 3 months and found little progress.  After hoping and praying for 3 years to get the thing done, I finally pulled it and found someone else.  It was a first time experience and I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but now I realize, they either want the job or just want to appear busy to charge you more.  I learned my lesson and now I only try to deal with people that are recommended/motivated or I will take my project elsewhere.

I would hate for someone to lose their project even if it was a VW beetle.  

• Like 1

Nice everyone is trying to help but am afraid you're all talking to the wall. The Op hasnt even visited the forums since joining and posting on Sep 19th. Really inspires us to try and offer advice doesnt it?

Terry

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mrspeedyt said:

speaking for myself, I'm not always on the forum on a consistent basis and sometimes I've been gone for months between visits.

but this has been an interesting topic!

even after asking a question or seeking advice?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I feel Terry is quite right. The OP asked for advice and then, as far as we know, completely ignored it, not even bothering to come back and thank those the members that took the time to answer.  That said, it has been an interesting discussion but I don't think its limited to restorers. This is the inherent risk in dealing with specialized businesses that rely on one or two key men (or women) to keep things running. I don't see how we can escape that risk since virtually all antique car work is long out of the mainstream. It's also one of the benefits of doing practically everything yourself but I realize this isn't an option for most enthusiasts.

I'm much more put off by the flippers that come here looking for us to price something so they can put it on ebay and try to sell it to one of us. I've collected 18th century arms most of my life and I have a rule with dealers...if they put a price on an item, that's the price. I may make an offer but if they make a mistake and misidentify something (and many do) that's their problem. If a widow or other heir comes to me with the same question I'll go out of my way to help.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I understand that some people are not forum kind of guys. Some will read through every day for a year and not post anything, thats all ok. But when that one question does come up that you would like answered and there are many responses the polite thing in the least would be a Thanks for the responses.  I went out of my way awhile ago to offer help to someone with limited posts, they ended up being a waste of my time and the others I made connections with for them. That why I will now stay away if possible from one post wonders.

The above story and answers do give a bit of advice to others reading so at least that much came out of it.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, JV Puleo said:

I'm much more put off by the flippers that come here looking for us to price something…

I sort of agree and realize my opinion/views may seem offensive to others, perhaps even some here, but as I’ve pointed out before, I’m amazed whenever I hear/see anyone with no directly vested interest offering “value” assessment on anything, be it a car, a part for one, a pair of used gloves, some real estate or whatever, to some random/unknown individual soliciting advise, regardless of their claimed reason.

I’m not highly educated, but was taught early in my life that “Any tangible object (or an idea) is worth what someone is willing to pay for it at a given moment, nothing more, nothing less” which to my limited understanding equals to that if I’m not in the market (as a buyer, seller or intermediary agent, i.e. broker/dealer/etc) for the subject, my (or anyone else’s) opinion about its value is pretty much pointless/useless/worthless, just like answering to some random persons question “How long is a string ?” or “Hey, I found something that looks like it could be a old/used wheelbarrow handle and would like to know what it’s worth ”.

OTOH, as I’ve probably mentioned before, there are and always will be a lot of things I’ll never understand, including how or why people do something that makes no (common) sense to me.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, Robert G. Smits said:

What is sooo secret about the make and model of the car in question?   

Reasons for not revealing the make, model or photos of a car could be numerous, including protection of privacy (of the owner, restorer, etc) or possibility of the car, especially if rare and/or valuable, becoming “storied” or “tainted” if any less than ideal circumstances related to it or it’s restoration, etc history is shared publicly.

What is wrong with documenting whatever was delivered to a shop, whether it is a set of rods for rebbatting, or an entire car, with a bill of lading, so there is some record of what was involved if there is a difficulty?

I have documented parts sent to a plater, with photos and descriptions, but still have parts lost, so nothing is completely disaster-proof. The number of stories about problems like this is huge.

19 hours ago, Wascator said:

What is wrong with documenting whatever was delivered to a shop, whether it is a set of rods for rebbatting, or an entire car, with a bill of lading, so there is some record of what was involved if there is a difficulty?

I have documented parts sent to a plater, with photos and descriptions, but still have parts lost, so nothing is completely disaster-proof. The number of stories about problems like this is huge.

THIS. I had my motor at the rebuilder for over 3 years before I got it back. I was in contact the entire time and trusted the fellow. Didnt make the delay any easier though. All of the major parts I dropped off, Block, crank, heads etc. I zip tied a laminated card with the part no. my name and contact infor and the motor spec. as well as taking a picture. I think that part worked out fine.

But, 3 years on, I had forgot about half of the small stuff I delivered. The last motor he did took about 8 weeks so when the current ordeal started I wasnt worried about the details. IF I did it again, I would keep a log of every single part dropped off, again with any amount of numbers needed, along with a signature from the shop. It all worked out ok on my end but I could see how it could have been much worse had the guy I was dealing with had issues or wasnt quite as trustworthy as I made him out to be.