Unoriginal 32 Ford pickup

Dave Mellor NJ

At a car show yesterday a guy brought in a 32 Ford pickup. He said it was all original. In a nice way I told him it was a nice truck but it's not original. It had a badge on the firewall that said Ford Model B-86. I never saw that before but I took that to mean it was originally equipped with a Model B engine. It had a 21 stud (37-38) V8 with a 39 trans, aluminum radiator, 12 volt, juice brakes and a host of other mods. I thought of identifying a Model B front motor mount in the "What is it?' section recently. That's the reason they turn up fairly often because when you put in a V8 the motor mounts are part of the water pumps. You try to sell the old motor mount but nobody needs it.

32 Pickup 1.jpg

32 pickup2.jpg

32 pickup 3.jpg

32 pickuo 4.jpg

32 pickup 5.jpg

32 pickup 6.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, nice to see someone out driving and enjoying it. I dont particularly care for fake patina though, and to say its original only perpetuates the myth. Just call it what it is, although the owner may have bought it this way and was told its all original! My cousin in law has a 63 chevy pu with obvious fake patina. She insists its all original except for the modern drivetrain.

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

53196342413_b8a320e153_c.jpg2023-09-18_07-49-31 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Sorry for the long paws in the above post. I did not realize until after I posted. Apparently Quincey was sitting on the down arrow. She misses her Mom when its not her day to go to work and visits me instead.

Great co-pilot, there, Quincy, but be sure to let @TAKerry handle the controls while you take a paws

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

At a car show yesterday a guy brought in a 32 Ford pickup. He said it was all original. In  nice way I told him it was a nice truck but it's not original....

The owner didn't ask you to MYOB, or invite you to go to the place of eternal punishment?

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)

I remember, back in the late '50's, my parents were looking for a second car for my mother to use for errands and such, and a very similar pickup was for sale at the corner gas station. Try as I would, beg and plead, they wouldn't even consider it. True to form, they ended up with a gray Buick 4-door sedan. Ugggghh!  😝 

I hate to say it, but I might make the same choice today myself.

32 pickup 5.jpg

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, Crusty Trucker said:

The owner didn't ask you to MYOB, or invite you to go to the place of eternal punishment?

If the owner either verbally or states false information on signage with the truck, he has made it your business, and anyone else who cared to listen or read.  Tact is what makes all the difference of correcting someone.

At our World of Wheels show a number of years ago, I tactfully corrected an owner of a 1963 Cadillac Series 75 that he owned an 8-passenger sedan; not a 'limousine' version of the same car.  He asked me to point out the difference between the two, (no partition, same front & rear interior trim, no individual set of outside door locks on rear doors, etc.).  He thanked me for telling him what I knew, and he would do further research on it.

Craig

• Thanks 1

Things like this truck are in a sort of purgatory, or gray area. Certainly not "original". Not quite "like" or "as" original. But not really a hotrod either. But they are a part of automotive history. Mechanically similar in design and appearance to the original driveline, they basically act like the original would, and most people wouldn't know the differences if they looked at it. 

Trucks and cars like this could be good daily drivers, and be great to see around town. Not my "cup of tea", but I wouldn't mind having one (for awhile?) if it were given to me.

Trucks like that were sometimes being upgraded with the newer engines and transmissions when they were only a few years old. It could very well have looked a lot like that when our nation entered the world war.

Over the years in this hobby, I have known several people that owned mid 1930s Buicks with late 1940s Buick straight eights in them. Also a number of people that had 1930s Chrysler products with '40s/'50s Plymouth flathead sixes in them. Sometimes they also have later rear ends and brakes in them. They look nice driving around town. Even though they are not correct that way.

There is room in the world and our hobby for such things. As long as they are not identified as what they are not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Things like this truck are in a sort of purgatory, or gray area. Certainly not "original". Not quite "like" or "as" original. But not really a hotrod either. But they are a part of automotive history. Mechanically similar in design and appearance to the original driveline, they basically act like the original would, and most people wouldn't know the differences if they looked at it. 

Trucks and cars like this could be good daily drivers, and be great to see around town. Not my "cup of tea", but I wouldn't mind having one (for awhile?) if it were given to me.

Trucks like that were sometimes being upgraded with the newer engines and transmissions when they were only a few years old. It could very well have looked a lot like that when our nation entered the world war.

Over the years in this hobby, I have known several people that owned mid 1930s Buicks with late 1940s Buick straight eights in them. Also a number of people that had 1930s Chrysler products with '40s/'50s Plymouth flathead sixes in them. Sometimes they also have later rear ends and brakes in them. They look nice driving around town. Even though they are not correct that way.

There is room in the world and our hobby for such things. As long as they are not identified as what they are not.

What we see today in Cuba comes to mind.

Craig