Plastic Piece for Distributor

MercMontMars

Hi there, I took my Pontiac out for a cruise yesterday and all was well until I completely lost spark and broke down. I checked my distributor and saw that the positive connection to the coil and distributor was loose, and when I went to tighten it the plastic bushing broke. Is there any replacement for this part or am I going to have to rig something up? I tightened it best I could but I don’t like how loose it is without that piece. 

Thanks for any help!IMG_3071.jpeg.98d01eb72ec168bec5ee3493fddd56ce.jpeg

IMG_3070.jpeg

At least one version of that is reproduced, and I think it is even the right one for 37 and later Pontiac. I haven't tried it though so I can't say for sure it is the right one. Look around on brillman.com .

• Like 1

You are asking about the electrical pass-through insulator? A proper fitting replacement is of course best!

However, the fit is not critical. I once used two small sink faucet washers. They were flat on one side, slightly cone shaped on the other side. I put one in from the inside, the other in from the outside with the cones pointed to each other through the hole. The cones "self centered" the washers in the hole. A small steel flat washer on both the inside and outside, then the wire connections, and tight, but not too tight. What is wrong with the idea is that the faucet washers are tough, but not solid enough to tighten really hard. That said, they were plenty tight and worked flawlessly for years. I eventually sold the vehicle.

There are a lot of good reasons for "doing things right!" Not the least of which is just not having a bunch of half-baked flaky repairs on a car. However, sometimes an "available at any hardware store" fix can come in handy. I at the time, and still, have a sink washer assortment in a drawer in my home shop.

• Like 3

For my 1936 I could not get one in the beginning. The closest California Pontiac Restoration could come up with was a used 1937 part. It was close but not right. I was grateful to have it, but I had to use a stepped nylon insulating washer from the hardware store on the inside instead of the inside half of the 1937 part. It got me on the road. Later, I got a whole 1936 distributor with the right parts, but at the moment that stepped washer inner and 1937 outer is still on the car.

If Old buicks 2 doesn't have the right thing, one of the following is probably close enough. The first looks more like yours but does not list a hole diameter. The second lists a hole diameter, but looks different as it has only a phenolic washer on the outside of the distributor (no black piece). Note that the parts in the second link are stacked wrong. No metal can contact the distributor housing.

https://brillman.com/product/delco-distributor-insulator/

https://brillman.com/product/delco-distributor-terminal-insulator-round-shoulder/

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi, if you aren't having any success finding this part, I have the correct pass-thru insulator for your Pontiac eight. I pulled this from an identical used 1110831 Delco Remy distributor I had lying around my shop so I'm sure it will work. Please PM me if you're interested and if you're in the lower 48, I'll ship it to you free of charge. 

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

• Like 2