Questions about old automobile trunks

StylishOne

I’m no expert at all on 20-30’s car trunks that were added to the back of cars.  How can I tell what a car trunk looked like as opposed to a normal clothing trunk? I’m curious to see the details that might tell me it’s for a car? Any help is appreciated! 

59 minutes ago, StylishOne said:

I’m no expert at all on 20-30’s car trunks that were added to the back of cars.  How can I tell what a car trunk looked like as opposed to a normal clothing trunk? I’m curious to see the details that might tell me it’s for a car? Any help is appreciated! 

Most "car trunks" were made to be waterproof. Metal or treated fabric was the norm for those. If you have an item that is in question, please post a photo of it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Not all, but a large number of car trunks have fitted luggage inside that can be removed to take inside your home or hotel room to fill with clothing for a trip.  Trunks with fitted luggage typically open from the back to access the fitted luggage.  

IMG_1413.jpeg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, StylishOne said:

In addition to what's been posted, the backs of some trunks are curved to follow the line of a sedan while trunks for coupes, roadsters, etc usually are straight.

On 8/4/2023 at 3:15 PM, StylishOne said:

Thanks guys I’m trying to see where, and how ,they attach to the car.. and what might also make them look like they belong on a car..

I have two different styles of car trunks.  One has four bolt holes in the floor of the trunk that correspond to holes in the trunk rack, so the trunk bolts securely in place.  My other trunk has brackets on each end that accept a threaded rod secured by a wing nut that clamps it securely to the trunk rack.  See attached photo for detail.

IMG_0758.jpeg

• Like 1