My 1929 Model 29-57

Irvingthe29

Hi everybody! New to the forum thought I would show off my Buick 29-57,  it is 100% original except for a complete engine overhaul in 1973 , I have all the documents from when the car was new till now . I am the 3rd owner of this beautiful Buick!

20230723_151247.jpg

20230722_130405.jpg

20230722_125441.jpg

20230722_130633.jpg

• Like 14

Do you think you could shoot some pictures of the front of the top above the visor for me?  I need to rebuild mine and have nothing there.

Yea definitely signup for the 29 Buick club , the newsletter is great and very informative. You’ll see sometimes people selling parts that you may need . 

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, 28Buick said:

This 29-57 could be a winner at the BCA national meet, "archival judged" or original category. https://2024bcanational.org/

I have not prior seen an international club for just one model year of any vehicle, much less a 1929 Buick club with 800 members!

I would love to go but it's a 21 hour drive and I probably don't have the funds for that trip

3 hours ago, Irvingthe29 said:

I would love to go but it's a 21 hour drive and I probably don't have the funds for that trip

Your drive will be a lot more than 19 hours.  If you can drive the car at 60 MPH, you'll only be able to average 50 MPH with gas stops every 100 miles (and that means no eye contact with anyone).

So, that's 26 hours but your 57 has a 4.636-1 rear end so I suspect your comfortable top speed will be closer to 50-52 MPH.  That means you'll average, at best, 45 MPH which means that it will take you around 30 hours.

Bill Mclaughlin

1929 Buick Roadster

Toronto to Spokane, WA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Bill - 29 Buick said:

Your drive will be a lot more than 19 hours.  If you can drive the car at 60 MPH, you'll only be able to average 50 MPH with gas stops every 100 miles (and that means no eye contact with anyone).

So, that's 26 hours but your 57 has a 4.636-1 rear end so I suspect your comfortable top speed will be closer to 50-52 MPH.  That means you'll average, at best, 45 MPH which means that it will take you around 30 hours.

Bill Mclaughlin

1929 Buick Roadster

Toronto to Spokane, WA

No at that point I would put it on a trailer lol

I am just 2.2 hours away from Columbus at Google map speed, maybe 1.5 hours in my Jaguar. Nonetheless I would schedule the full 30 hours recommended by Bill29 for a prewar Buick journey to accommodate the unforeseen roadside repairs, rests and resets that accompany our near century-old technology. Any good auto transport company recommendations?  Maybe you can make BCA in Concord (Charlotte), NC 2025?

2 hours ago, Bill - 29 Buick said:

That’s no fun.  You have to drive anyway, so why not have the fun and adventure of driving your old car. 

Bill McLaughlin 

When John and Julia Tuthill had it they drove it from Golden Colorado to Flint Michigan but that was also 1976 . I would have to take back roads and figure out a route 

1 hour ago, Irvingthe29 said:

When John and Julia Tuthill had it they drove it from Golden Colorado to Flint Michigan but that was also 1976 . I would have to take back roads and figure out a route 

Bill puts me in my place!😁  I got to Spokane in my 1950 from Wichita Falls , TX.  Patting myself on the back 'till my arm was sore.  THEN along comes BILL in the '29 Roadster!  All the way from Toronto.

Just suck it up and DRIVE.

Ben

14 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Bill puts me in my place!😁  I got to Spokane in my 1950 from Wichita Falls , TX.  Patting myself on the back 'till my arm was sore.  THEN along comes BILL in the '29 Roadster!  All the way from Toronto.

Just suck it up and DRIVE.

Ben

The other half is im that thing know as "poor" so funding the trip would be the other problem 

Yes, there are several factors to consider when contemplating a long distance trip in an antique automobile.  Having been faced with this question recently myself, the deciding factor was ultimately 'time'.  As mentioned above, driving any prewar car on modern limited-access interstate highways is really not feasible.  That means plotting an alternate route using predominantly 2-lane US, state and county highways.  This can easily double the amount of time required for the trip.  (The good news, however, is that there's much more to see and do along the way.)  Consequence of extending the duration are additional meal and lodging expenses.  Post-pandemic costs of virtually everything associated with such a trip have increased dramatically.

All that said, my point is that the decision of whether to drive or trailer your antique car comes down to evaluation of a number of factors that will vary with each situation.  In a perfect world, I'd drive my '38 Buick everywhere.  The problem is, sometimes reality gets in the way...  ;)

• Like 3