Camping at Fall Hershey

Littlestown Mike

I need a new place to set up my camper for the Fall AACA meet at Hershey.  I have been using the open lot across from the Derry American Legion for many years ( 20+). They charged a reasonable amount, provided a spot-O-Pot and mowed the grass.  The Legion was open for meals--all very reasonable---and the Legion made a few bucks. 

Well, they finally sold that property!  Who can blame them?  The value of that asset made selling it to a developer an easy decision.  I was surprised (and happy) it was available as long as it was-- I met some interesting people there over the years.

Now I need to find a new spot---Can anyone provide a link to Hershey Entertainment and Resorts--I remember that they have offered spots in past years.

Does anyone know the fee structure and restrictions?  I have a fire kettle that permits me to have a fire without damaging the grass--do you know if they would permit me to use that?

How about awnings? Are they permitted?

Are there less restrictions further back in the field--away from the flea markets?

Always wanted to go to Hershey, never thought about camping but I wonder what would be allowed.  We tent camp.

Our small tent is quite comfortable providing there are services available.  

IMG_2023-06-21-11-52-23-472.jpg.80cb04870a74f3840b0d20dcfadafc0b.jpg

The large tent is a home in itself, over 400 sq feet wood stove etc.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

There are services available.  The HERCO fields are right across from the flea market so they are very convenient.  They usualy provide Spot-O-Pots distributed around and there are showers behind the stadium in what I think is the old hockey area--also where the annual talent show is held.  There are no hookups available--neither water, Sewer nor Electric.  This is dry camping.

That much I know from camping nearby for many years.

Its the details I need to know, now.

10 hours ago, mopar_earl said:

You can check with Hershey Park Camping Resort. That's where we stay. Shuttle service as well. 

Earl 

Is that the place right on Hershey Park drive near the RR overpass and the road to Hummelstown?

Do they run a shuttle, or does the AACA shuttle make a stop there?

19 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

Is that the place right on Hershey Park drive near the RR overpass and the road to Hummelstown?

Do they run a shuttle, or does the AACA shuttle make a stop there?

Yes that's the place right on Hershey Park Drive near the RR overpass close to Hummelstown. The AACA shuttle bus makes stops there. This info was on page 5 of last year's program. 

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

Edited by The 55er
added pics (see edit history)

RV/Camper Parking (no hookups, unit must be self contained) - $60 per night, and you must pay for each night through Fri., Oct. 6th, starting on the day you arrive. No reservations are taken. Ample parking available. RV/Camper parking is available starting Saturday, September 30, and is located on the north side of Hersheypark Drive. Watch for signs as you near the show grounds. 

OVERNIGHT CAMPER PARKING RULES

• NO DUMPING GREY WATER

• NO CHANGING SITES

• NO OPEN FIRES

• NO ELECTRICAL HOOKUPS

• FIREWORKS & WEAPONS:
    • Fireworks (including sparklers), firecrackers, explosives, firearms or weapons of any kind are not permitted.

• QUIET TIME FROM 11:00PM UNTIL 6:00AM

o   Generators, diesel engines or bright exterior lighting may not operate during the quiet hours. No loud music, excessive noise, or disorderly conduct will be tolerated.

• PETS:
    • Pets must always be supervised and kept on a leash not to exceed 6 feet. They cannot pose a disturbance or danger to other campers and owners are expected to clean up after their pets

• THEFT & LOSS:

o   Campers are responsible for securing their personal property, including, but not limited to, their campers and contents, vehicles, tents, or any other personal property. The campground, its owner, agents, and employees are not responsible or liable for theft or loss of any kind, nor damage caused by acts of God, fires, floods, windstorms, explosions, lightning strikes, accidents, or vandalism. Campers are responsible for maintaining insurance on their campers, vehicles, and personal property.

VIOLATION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE-MENTIONED RULES MAY RESULT IN FORFEITURE OF YOUR SITE WITHOUT REFUND.

Note:  These are the rules (awnings are allowed) if you take advantage of the onsite camping.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 12:41 PM, Ernest Palchanes said:

Does anyone know if there is any problems with keeping Motor home and trailor at this camping area ?

From the details that Steve posted this appears to be the HERCO lot directly across HersheyPark Blvd from the Red Field.

It has been my experience over the years that this field has always permitted RVs with trailers to park there. For a few years I stayed with friends in their RV on this lot. Once or twice I parked my truck and trailer next to their RV and trailer. Unless something changed last year you should be able to park a trailer with your RV here. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 12:41 PM, Ernest Palchanes said:

Does anyone know if there is any problems with keeping Motor home and trailor at this camping area ?

Hello again Ernie!  Yes, I parked my 40' Diesel Pusher RV there with 20' trailer attached for 10 plus years, no problems.   Chuck

• Like 1

I have been camping at Hershey for decades, but this year will be different.  This will be my first year on the HERCO lot right across from the flea markets.

They prohibit "open fires" --not to get picky, but does anyone know how they define :open fires"?  I have steel firepit with a screened cover.  My friend has propane burner for cooking.  Neither of these would burn the grass--will they be permitted?

This is also my first year with a much smaller camper--down-sized to a popup.  While it is perfect for Hershey, it does not have much water capacity ( 12 gallons versus the 30+ gallons on my old TT) nor does it hav any gray water tank.  I cannot dump gray water on the ground and will use either a portable tank or a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids.  The main issue is with water now a "critical resource"--cooking and cleanup after cooking and eating will require more thought ( and less water).  I expect to use a lot of paper products and paper towels and pack out all ny trash.

LOOKING FOR ADVICE from those with experience on best ways to cook and clean up using very little water.

With reasonable careful use of water we get by with an around 10 gallons for 2 people for 4 full days, cooking and cleaning. Some of the 10 gallons is used for making coffee but we do bring extra bottled water for drinking.  I have the extra room so I usually bring additional 5 gallons but I don't remember ever using it and normally have some left from the 10 gallons.  I bought collapsable 5 gallon jugs for grey water.  They take up very little space when empty and caps that seal them when full.  I camp on our flea market space and just use a one burner butane stove for cooking, and have not tried to push the no open flame rule but do see others using charcoal grills.  Been camping on our spot for over 50 years and don't remember numbers for the early years but the above for at least 25 years. In the early years to cut down on hauling the extra weight we would fill our 5 gallon jugs at the truck stop up on Rt39 but that got to be a pain too. All but the first couple of year when we camped in the back of a 1967 Ranchero we have camped in a small slide in truck camper or B camper that take up the back 20 feet of our space giving us 10 feet to vend in front.  

• Like 1

Heading to hershey this year,missed it last year due to a hurricane that blew through my provinc,spent 16 days home here without power?.Hoping it wont happen again this year,Have a van we stay in and am self sufficent that way,anyone else try boondocking in some of the parking lots,are you allowed to just park overnite or will i be told to move?,Is the rv parking by the night or do i pay for the whole week even if i leave after 2 days,only have a couple of days to spend there?.First time there,dont know my way around yet?. Any tips would be helpful.  harvey

harvey b---Your First HERSHEY!!!   Get ready for a great experience.

HERCO owns pretty much all the land and parking lots around Hershey.  I doubt that you will find a place to "boondock"  I camped for years in a field across from the Derry American Legion.  They mowed the field and provided spot-O-pots and relaxed their rules so the public could get meals in their club.  But, that property has been sold and I believe it is being developed, so that option is gone.

Most of the answers to your questions are in Steve Moskowitz's answer of August 3 on this very thread.  It is $60 a night and you must pay thru Friday night regardless of when you are leaving.  If that sounds expensive ( and it is! )  price out the Camping Resort right on Hershey Park Drive---their sites are double that price.

Be prepared to be overwhelmed, do a lot of walking, meet some terrific people, see some great cars, and mountains of parts---and do not be too frustrated when you realize that you will not see it all in the time you have.

Thanks mike ive been to Carlisle and the AACA show in Charlotte.I kind of have an idea as to what to epect,but Hershey has been on my bucket list for years and its now time to go.Hoping when i get there ill be able to find someplace to crash,sometimes stay at Cracker Barrels and Walmarts too.Must be my cheap scottish blood i have😁.Looking forward to it no matter what.  harvey

There is a WalMart between Harrisburg and Hershey right on Rte 322, maybe 10-15 minutes from Hershey--depending on traffic.  Even though the empty field that we used for camping by the Derry American Legion is no longer avaliable, you should be able to park for free right along the street.  I doubt that you can "boomdock" there, but it should be good for day parking.  In the old days when the Blue field was where all the roller coasters and water rides are now, that was close to the show, but with that field gone, its almost a mile from the Derry American Legion to the stadium and the beginning of the flea market.  For that reason, you might find a space to park there as long as you are prepared for the long waklk to get to the fields.

People used to try and tell me that Carlisle was as big as Hershey--no way.  I can at least walk all of Carlisle in a day--if I keep up the pace and don't stop at every vendor.  No way I can do that at Hershey--even in three days.

I think you will enjoy yourselg--hope you find whatever you need.

Edited by Littlestown Mike
spelling (see edit history)

Thanks mike,i think we will end up staying at the "dry" camping area at hershey,when i factor in the 20.00 a day for parking plus it is very handy to the gate,it doesnt look all that bad.My biggest reason is i dont like to get in the lineups to get in off the highway and the slow pace in the mornings,this way i can head back to rest if i want and dont have to worry about parking and pedestrians too.My first trip so i dont know my way around yet.  harvey

On 9/18/2023 at 12:17 PM, harvey b said:

Thanks mike,i think we will end up staying at the "dry" camping area at hershey,when i factor in the 20.00 a day for parking plus it is very handy to the gate,it doesnt look all that bad.My biggest reason is i dont like to get in the lineups to get in off the highway and the slow pace in the mornings,this way i can head back to rest if i want and dont have to worry about parking and pedestrians too.My first trip so i dont know my way around yet.  harvey

That is the same choice I made for this year.  The fee is a little steep, but it is convenient.