Temporary solution to a loose mirror??? Your thots

MotiveLensPhoto

The stalk attaching the right mirror to the door panel is solid but the mirror cowl surrounding the side mirror on the 73 is a little wobbly. Fortunately, no remote wires to worry about The issue seems to be the screw threads on the stalk are a little worn and don't provide enough grip to screw into. Since I don't really need it for driving I was thinking of using some metal hole filler like https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-High-Strength-Small-Hole-Repair-All-in-One-Applicator-Tool-SHR-3-AIO/207108997  My hope would be to create a better surface to screw into while I'm at the shows. Once the shows are over I could find a new mirror assembly (I hope) to replace it. Any better repairs until I can replace the stalk?

Edited by Golden73 (see edit history)

If you still have not  started yet, rather then using a filler, try and remove the screw and refit another screw of different perhaps length  gauge.,

but design----there are lots available these days, preferbly a  sell taper in stain less steel,

see my screw tool kit its 2 inches thick of different screws.

IMG_1791.jpgsrews.jpg

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)

Get a machine screw the next size larger. If it goes in fairly easily, the hole in the panel is enlarged. If it’s tight, find a new screw the same size and screw it in. Ne way or another match a screw to a hole.  

On 7/7/2023 at 11:37 PM, RivNut said:

Get a machine screw the next size larger. If it goes in fairly easily, the hole in the panel is enlarged. If it’s tight, find a new screw the same size and screw it in. Ne way or another match a screw to a hole.  

This is definitely the answer.  Measure the existing screw and go the next size up in diameter.  You can get a cheapo tap and die set for like $20.  If you need to measure the diameter, a reasonable pair of calipers can be bought for like $20. 

I'm going to totally guess, but the existing thread is probably somewhere around a #10 screw size (.190" DIA).  I would go up to a 1/4"-20 thread depending upon how bad it is.  The drill size for a 1/4"-20 thread is .203" DIA.  Depending upon the tap and die set you get, it might come with the correct drill bits too.

Reach out if you need more help.

1 hour ago, Hazdaz said:

This is definitely the answer.  Measure the existing screw and go the next size up in diameter.  You can get a cheapo tap and die set for like $20.  If you need to measure the diameter, a reasonable pair of calipers can be bought for like $20. 

I'm going to totally guess, but the existing thread is probably somewhere around a #10 screw size (.190" DIA).  I would go up to a 1/4"-20 thread depending upon how bad it is.  The drill size for a 1/4"-20 thread is .203" DIA.  Depending upon the tap and die set you get, it might come with the correct drill bits too.

Reach out if you need more help.

Chances are that a sheet metal screw was used originally. A machine screw would require a tap and sheet metal is usually too thin to tap.  Post a picture of the original screw if you can. The best thing might be a hex head self tappin sheet metals screw.  You can get more torque for the self tapping threads with a nut driver on a hex head.

61LQvzQGxiL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

Chances are that a sheet metal screw was used originally. A machine screw would require a tap and sheet metal is usually too thin to tap.  Post a picture of the original screw if you can. The best thing might be a hex head self tappin sheet metals screw.  You can get more torque for the self tapping threads with a nut driver on a hex head.

61LQvzQGxiL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I might have misunderstood the situation then.  A picture would always be helpful.  I thought he was going through the sheet metal (clearance hole) and into the stalk of the mirror (tapped hole that is now stripped).  I figured the stalk is actually a solid piece.  If he is going into sheet metal, then absolutely use self tappers, but sheet metal is never going to be particularly sturdy.