Locomobile wheels, rims, tires and related issues

Ittenbacher Frank

With this topic I like to exchange some experience and knowledge related to the wooden wheels, split rims and tires used on the Locomobile models 38 and 48.

To begin with: I thought my cars are equipped with Firestone rims, but yesterday I had a flat tire, and during repair I cleaned the rim and found some words stamped into the rim: Very clearly it is a GOODYEAR rim, size 34-4 1/2, DEMOUNTABLE RIM. But what is written before TYPE A?

prägung goodyear 0.jpg

prägung goodyear 1.jpg

prägung goodyear 2.jpg

prägung goodyear 3.jpg

prägung goodyear grösse 1.jpg

prägung goodyear grösse 2.jpg

George K is the expert on these. It’s a 25 inch rim. Goodyear and Firestone were the two popular brands , unless you had a Pierce. The snap rings and retaining rings are different as are the clamps if memory serves me. I think the Firestone rings have the pin……..I can’t remember.  Type A refers to a single fixed flange or removable two rings and a snap ring…….not sure which is which, working from a poor memory. There are wheel and rim charts with photos that explain it all. Previously posted here somewhere, by George.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

In another place is the stamping MANUFACTURED BY HEXC_____NDWEL__NE___GO and then in the next line: __CLEVELAND__.

Next to it, there is a symbol.

Any thoughts about the missing letters?

What do we learn from that?

How old are these rims and did they originally belong to the Locos? The spare parts book shows a rim which consists of 3 pieces: rim, side ring and lock ring. On mine the side ring and lock ring is one piece.

Any suggestion where I can find two of these rims, complete with locking ring?

More about this topic in the next days.

prägung manufactured 1.jpg

prägung manufactured 2.jpg

prägung zeichen 1.jpg

lockring 1.jpg

rim cpl 1.jpg

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)

George, I assume your posted page is likely from a manual printed in the mid to late teens? Of all the Locomobile 38 and 48 I have been around, I have not seen one quipped with clincher tires, have you? As miserable as a clincher tire is to deal with it would be my guess that they could have been retrofitted to a straight side design and likely Firestone, but maybe Goodyear az is the case with Franks Locomobile.

Al

The clincher tire sizes became obsolete so they were changed to straight side tires and rims. They were available back in the day as replacements. The tire / rim industry went to a standardized system over time. Demountable (removable side ring) clincher are easy compared to fixed rims.

I agree, a removable side ring is way easier to deal with than a solid clincher rim, as in the Model T Ford. However, getting a good bite on the clincher tire of a heavy automobile likely is not so good. If the tire slips on the rim, solid rim or removable side ring, it will pinch the stem off and you are on the side of the road making a repair and likely mumbling some foul words in the meantime.

Al

46 minutes ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Alan and George, you are both correct.

Parts list No. 54 (1915) and No. 65 and 68 (1917) show clincher as above, parts list No. 78 (for 48-series 7, app. 1920) shows the new style, see this page:

98.jpg

Both are Firestone.

Q.D.C. means Quick Detachable Clincher.

A detachable rim has a ring to take the tire off the rim.

A demountable rim comes off the wheel with tire inflated. This allows for a 5th rim ( spare) with an inflated tire.

Some wheels are both detachable and demountable.

1915 was about the cross-over time that Dunlop ( straight side ) tires became capable of carrying heavier loads than clincher or Fisk types. They were cheaper and easier to use as well. Cadillac is a great indicator of this. Earlier they have clinchers, then they have "universal" rims that can take either clincher or straight sides (by reversing the bead rings), then only straight side tires can be used.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

56 minutes ago, Layden B said:

Q.D.C. means Quick Detachable Clincher.

A detachable rim has a ring to take the tire off the rim.

A demountable rim comes off the wheel with tire inflated. This allows for a 5th rim ( spare) with an inflated tire.

Some wheels are both detachable and demountable.

1915 was about the cross-over time that Dunlop ( straight side ) tires became capable of carrying heavier loads than clincher or Fisk types. They were cheaper and easier to use as well. Cadillac is a great indicator of this. Earlier they have clinchers, then they have "universal" rims that can take either clincher or straight sides (by reversing the bead rings), then only straight side tires can be used.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Thanks for catching my mistake. Must take an old picker to be so kind. One picture worth a thousand words.E83FC645-DB54-4784-8F80-0B20BF335048.jpeg.fe224ff5dab436d6d3dccdfa2b0dc579.jpeg

On 6/26/2023 at 5:31 PM, Ittenbacher Frank said:

With this topic I like to exchange some experience and knowledge related to the wooden wheels, split rims and tires used on the Locomobile models 38 and 48.

To begin with: I thought my cars are equipped with Firestone rims, but yesterday I had a flat tire, and during repair I cleaned the rim and found some words stamped into the rim: Very clearly it is a GOODYEAR rim, size 34-4 1/2, DEMOUNTABLE RIM. But what is written before TYPE A?

prägung goodyear 0.jpg

prägung goodyear 1.jpg

prägung goodyear 2.jpg

prägung goodyear 3.jpg

prägung goodyear grösse 1.jpg

prägung goodyear grösse 2.jpg

Write to Layden Butler.  He is the resident expert on rims:

laydenandjean@comcast.net

9 hours ago, ak said:

Write to Layden Butler.  He is the resident expert on rims:

laydenandjean@comcast.net

Thanks, John! I assume Jaydon has seen this topic already, and the riddle was solved by George firstly: The missing characters of the stamping are:

"MANUFACTURED BY THE CLEVELAND WELDING & MFG.CO CLEVELAND"

Thanks to all!

Goodyear cleveland welding 1 (zug).jpeg

pressed steel company besides goodyear rims.jpg

By the way, both my cars are equipped with these Goodyear Detachable straight-side rims: All 12 tires are 35x5. All 10 rims (2 for the second spare tires are missing, I am still searching) consist of two pieces only (Rim and lock ring) and look identical from what I can see from outside. Until now I opened only two, but I have to check them all one by one. I don't want to damage more tubes...

And one more interesting observation: The rims obviously fit to both car's wooden wheels, because I found old photos showing the previous owner once had put the tourer's white walls onto the Sedan and vice versa. This must have been in the mid 90s. His friends told me he never did any larger modification on the cars, definitely no work on the wheel rims. The Sedan was bought from the auction in California at the end of 1973, then driven around for a short time, then shipped to Germany. Old photos taken in California show the same rims and Lester-brand tires as is today.

For the touring car which was made in 1916 (model 1917) I have another explanation in my mind: There is an ID-tag on the Westinghouse air suspensions showing a patent date of 1918. When deflated, the cars rides quite low, no space between fender and tire for larger size tires. I assume the suspension was installed in the period between 1919-1922, together with the 35"-wheels. Not much later, because they would have chosen the wider 20" or 21" low-pressure tires available by then. Any suggestins on that? Must leave now, install a new flap and put the spare back in place...

3a beide in halle 1988 1.jpg

3a Loco offen vor Wohnung ca 1987.jpg

3a Sedan vor Holztor von vorne links unten Müllhaufen (2) kl.jpg

Edited by Ittenbacher Frank (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Steve.

You have a very nice set of 34 x 4-1/2" Firestone Fellow Bands? I hope the and the rest of your wheel irons are in good condition to match this piece. Next, I am impressed with your wheel painting fixture. I am building a four wheel spinning fixture.  What RPM do you spin your wheels to achieve the best painting end results

Al

Hello Al,

All of the wheel components cleaned up adequately with a media blast. The wood was right and tight, scraping time on the rear spokes, then high built primer and lots of sanding.

Not concourse though good enough for this enthusiast to roll on.    

The wheel spinning fixture is borrowed from a friend. It runs at about 6rpm, just a little fast but manageable.   

This thing makes the job so much easier, I'm very thankful !

Steve      

• Like 1