Old Plymouth Wagon

9F94M567042

13 hours ago, 9F94M567042 said:

Saw this today in the parking lot of my doctor's office. Don't know about old Plymouths but took a picture anyway.

Maybe someone here owns it?

Cheers

plymouth front.jpg

plymouth side.jpg

This innocuous appearing all-steel 1950 Plymouth Suburban was one of the pioneer body styles that burgeoned in the following decades as it developed along with the explosive growth of suburbia.   Prior to the 1949 introduction of the Plymouth Suburban, wood-bodied station wagons were among the most expensive cars in any model line offering, plus requiring annual maintenance of the wood body.   The Plymouth Suburban opened the segment to a wider span of family incomes and was rewarded with explosive sale volumes in the early years of the 1950's.  Eventually the all-steel four door station wagon eclipsed the popularity of the two-door version, became the choice of the nation for family transportation until supplanted by the minivan and SUV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to take the photos. I love station wagons of every sort , wood or metal body, 2 or 4 door. Have collected material on them for years. My everyday transportation when I first started to teach art in 1972 was a 1941 Packard 120 station wagon, drove it 80 miles a day round trip . Grew up in 1949 Pontiac then 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagons as a kid.  I knew several people who worked for J.T. Cantrell company here on long island who supplied bodies for Dodge, Packard , Buick etc. and copied period photographs of those Cantrell bodies when being made pre WWII.

Thank you for making my day with this post!!

Walt

PS Drove my 41 Packard to Hershey once or more as well, once in 4 hours of rain, doors swelled up shut and we had to crawl out the tailgate window to get out of the car. Sun came out and doors opened up again fine................. and many reading this thought I was sane........🤩

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:38 PM, Walt G said:

Drove my [wood-bodied] '41 Packard to Hershey once or more as well, once in 4 hours of rain, doors swelled up shut and we had to crawl out the tailgate window to get out of the car. Sun came out and doors opened up again fine...

Accounts like that should be recorded for generations

to come.  Only people who were there can tell history first-hand.

I wonder whether many interesting accounts such as yours 

were recorded in the AACA's oral history project.

John, I have been so very very fortunate over the decades to have made friends and experienced things that seem to be dreams in my imagination . Rides in period ( pre WWII) cars, conversations and friendships with former employees/executives etc of orphan car companies , especially Franklin. Friendships with or encounters with down to earth car type guys and gals - Austin Clark, Bill Harrah, Bev Kimes, Charles Addams ( the cartoonist), Alec Ulman ( started Sebring race track) , Crawford Robertson ( son of race car driver George Robertson), Rene and Maurice Dreyfus ( Bugatti team driver and mechanic) etc.  and even just brief casual conversations with Sterling Moss, actor Charles Bronson ( he was at Hershey in the flea market looking for parts for his 1935 Cadillac) and Bill Mitchell at the NY Auto Show on press day ( before anyone realized he was there we were talking design and styling). I knew them all as just down to earth people who liked/loved old cars.

It is why here on the forums ( have been told no room in the AACA magazine)  I continue to share what i have in my library, in the stories I write etc. no sense leaving it to just sit and me be the only one to see, or on occasion friends who visit

Walt

• Like 4

Walt, you have been unusually fortunate to be located where you are and to have had the opportunity to meet, converse with and befriend a wide range of car enthusiasts.  Fortunately, we have this public forum where your experiences can be disseminated to thousands.  Thank you for every anecdote you share.

• Like 2