41 chevy coupe trans question

Bhigdog

Bob, by 1939 everything was up on the column on passenger cars, I don't know if the transmission is that simple of an adaption. I would be surprised if it was that simple, for some reason I think it is a totally different unit, I might be wrong but I remember hearing it was an involved swap. The vacuum shift was a problem on the 41's might be easier to fix that!   

Column shift with the vacuum assist cylinder. This was a pretty simple device and good to have for easy shifting. There used to be a kit to eliminate the vacuum assist by adding a longer gearshift lever for more leverage. At one time you could buy a floor shift kit from any one of several accessory manufacturers. Don't know if any are still available but something might turn up on Ebay or a swap meet.

• Like 2

Thanks Rusty. Here's the question: I have a 1939 Chevy 1\2 ton (JC) pick up. I have a line on a 41 coupe trans I would keep as a spare. I would do the deal if the coupe trans would work in the PU with the top plate from the PU or even if the internals are the same as the PU's.....Your thoughts?................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Anybody?.................Bob

Bob; the truck transmission is different from the car, mainly gear ratios; the '41 coupe transmission would have the linkage on the left side since by then cars went to column shift. The truck transmission as you know from your '39 pickup has the shift linkage on the top of the transmission. I have a '38 Chevy pickup, HC. I just looked through my 1942 Master Parts book, and shows the transmission part #590951 for 37-39 truck; and #591187 for 41-42 cars; these are 3 speed transmissions.

While we are on the subject does anyone know if the torque tube transmission (1941 - 54 car) shares any parts, or interchanges with the 55 up 3 speed? I know the trans does not directly interchange but do the internal parts? I happen to have a 42 Chev and a spare later trans.

4 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

While we are on the subject does anyone know if the torque tube transmission (1941 - 54 car) shares any parts, or interchanges with the 55 up 3 speed? I know the trans does not directly interchange but do the internal parts? I happen to have a 42 Chev and a spare later trans.

Maybe a bushing or a bearing but they are pretty much different units all together, I remember going over this with someone a few years back.

Bob, they key thing with the truck tranny and the passenger car tranny is the length, I believe that the truck tranny is shorter for some reason and that becomes a problem with the torque tube. I know it became more involved then expected, and in hindsight the easiest fix was to just get the vacu-shift to work. 

I know from experience that the vacuum shift transmissions from the ‘40s don’t interchange with anything including pickup. They’re different lengths. I have a ‘’46 Chevrolet coupe and wanted a floor shift setup to make my vision of an early poor boy hotrod/ shine runner. Unfortunately the only thing I could do was use the vacuum elimination setup that was on the car when I bought it. The gears are the same in the transmissions of the ‘40s and earlier ‘50s, so you could use most pieces from them as spare parts.

Well, my first car, in 1952, was a 1940 Chevrolet, Special Deluxe,  with the vacuum shift.   I honestly cannot remember how it shifted as Dad disabled it almost immediately.  If I remember correctly, he just unhooked the vacuum canister from the transmission.  I broke the transmission. TWICE!   Just went to the salvage yard and bought another.

Ben

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I was told there were 2 trans cases used 41 - 54, one bolts up to the 55 up V8 bellhousing the other doesn't. Internal parts are the same and the car and pickup use the same trans case and internals?

Bolting up to the bell housing is not the problem, the torque tube creates an entire new dimension to deal with 

Exactly. The difference in trans case becomes important if you want to put a Chev V8 in a pre 55 Chev car or pickup without changing the drive train. Apparently there is a transmission that accepts the swap but it is not in all vehicles, it is kind of random but mainly they are found in pickup trucks.

Maybe there was a time when guy swapped 283s into older Chevs but I don't think this is done much now.

• Like 1