Productive 2 Days on the 55

M1842

First worked on leaning out the fuel mixture.  Then put the transmission in reverse (car is up on stands with 3 wheels mounted).  And lo and behold the reverse lights decided to work for the first time ever.  I had to clean up the socket on the left side as it was mighty dim, but it came back full strength.

Today was more involved.  First, I had to back the dashpot out as it was pushing too much on the throttle.  Then adjust the throttle screw.  Then replaced all the sparkalators, the old ones were not too bad but showed how rich it had been running.  Then I saw a paragraph in the shop manual talking about the order the wires should be installed in the wire holders.  Hmmmm.  Yep, checked out the wires and yes, they were installed improperly (PO).  Redid the order in the wire grommets.  Started the car and bang.  It sounded and ran better than I expected.  I know if you get sparkplug wires going to the wrong plug you won't be having a great day.  But did not expect that much difference just from position in the wire holder.  Had to do the right and the left banks.

Then I thought, I have new reflectors for the taillights to replace the faded and broken ones.  So 8 small screws, two 1/2" bolts, and 7 mounting threaded rods later, I was able to replace the reflectors.  The body pads fell apart, so I have ordered new ones.  While I am waiting, I'll free up the nuts on the threaded rods so I can install the rods first and then fasten bolts from inside.

Next job will be to change the oil and oil filter.

Mark

• Like 7

3 hours ago, M1842 said:

Next job will be to change the oil and oil filter.

If you have not done a canister filter of this era before here is a note that may be of assistance.   The o ring for the canister sits in a groove.  After ensuring the groove is void of any old o ring material, sometimes people try to balance the new o ring on the top edge of the canister and then screw the filter and ring into place.  After you push the car to a dry place for the 2nd try, you may see that placing the gasket into the groove first and then bringing the canister up to the o ring usually results in a better seal.  😁

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

Ask me how I know.

Yep.   Recall starting the car once after an oil change and thinking now isn’t that odd there is no oil pressure.  Guess where it went…

Did a dry compression test today,  all cylinders came in between 130 and 135 PSI.  Checked the valve train and one rocker arm on cylinder 5 moves very slightly under finger pressure.  I will pull that rocker arm shaft to inspect the parts.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, Rusty Heaps said:

And make sure that you tighten the lid well , otherwise you will have the Exxon Valdiz on your hands! Ask me how I know.

Or, you can find a 59-61 aluminum spin on filter adapter that is a simple bolt-on replacement and stick that messy cartridge filter in a plastic bag after cleanup, so you still have that original part in case someone wants it in the future for???

• Haha 1

Pulled the right rocker arm shaft and the rocker arm that I could move did have a depression worn in by the valve stem.  Push rod looked OK.   Found another rocker arm that was worn on cylinder 1.  So I have two rocker arms on order and will proceed with the left bank rocker arms.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Get some new shafts if yours have significant wear.

I was thinking about, we'll see what the shafts look like when I take them apart.

Pulled the left assembly out today and found 2 more worn rocker arms.