1927 Stearns-Knight Model G-8-85 Cabriolet $88,000

We talked about this over in the Stearns Knight thread but this car needs a wider audience.   Somebody needs to buy this.    Paint the wheels black and put the right tires on it.   You have a fantastic car.   The engine is basically the same 385 that is in the later J8-90 and H8-90 cars.  88K barely covers the engine job.  It is the only known survivor.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1927-stearns-knight-other-east-orwell-oh-999748

This CCCA Full Classic, fully restored, award winning 1927 Stearns-Knight G-8-85 Cabriolet is believed to be the only surviving example of this chassis, engine, and body combination in existence, and was formerly part of the legendary Harrah’s Automobile Collection in Reno, Nevada. The F.B. Stearns Company of Cleveland, Ohio, manufactured its first automobile in 1898. In 1911, Stearns acquired the first American patent for the sleeve-valve engine invented by Charles Knight, and all Stearns-Knight automobiles henceforth used engines of that design. Stearns produced the engine in both four and six cylinders prior to 1927, when the G-8 inline-eight cylinder was added as the top of the line. Stearns-Knight automobiles competed directly with Packard and Cadillac at the highest end of the American market.

The automobile offered here was reportedly first sold in Boise, Idaho. After passing through several owners, it became part of the Harrah Collection and was sold to an English buyer during Harrah’s 1978 auction. Noted collectors Patterson and Anne Barnes (the granddaughter of Frank B. Stearns) returned the car to the U.S. in 1994 and commissioned a long-term professional frame-off restoration. The Stearns-Knight was rewarded with multiple National Awards beginning in 2007, and became part of the seller’s collection in 2009, where it has continued to be maintained and presented to the same high standard. In describing the car and restoration the seller identifies that: “Everything is as original as humanly possible.”

Award-Winning 1927 Stearns-Knight Model G-8-85 Cabriolet

https://thumbor-production-auction.hemmings.com/1584184/1927-stearns-knight-20230415-082-result.jpg

https://thumbor-production-auction.hemmings.com/1584171/1927-stearns-knight-20230415-071-result.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

They are great drivers when dialed in……a true sleeper of a motor car. I couldn’t live with the leather. Tires and wheels are an easy fix, as well as the belt line. It’s too bad so many people are afraid of the sleeve valve engine. If I was looking for a big pre 1930’s car this one would be on the top of my list for American cars. Price is probably 20 cents on the dollar for the restoration.

• Like 3

Wire wheels would mean Buffalo’s…….which require different drums, hubs, and spindles……….so that’s not gonna happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The wires would be nice but you would need an entire Stutz parts car to get all the parts.  I'm assuming this is running the worm drive like the later cars (and Stutz).

So,  somebody who knows better - can you change that piping on the top without putting an entirely new top on?  

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Wire wheels would mean Buffalo’s…….which require different drums, hubs, and spindles……….so that’s not gonna happen.

can fix ANYTHING- how much time and money do you have?

• Like 1

Mike….never claimed to be perfect. It’s not broken. And having actually worked on one, and am reasonably familiar with what is left for available parts……unless you want to make drums, hubs, and spindles there aren’t any options left………what’s the cost of making all the parts from scratch? 30k, 50k, and it’s probably more. I have made drums in the past…….never tried to make hubs, and I have no clue as how one would make some spindles that would be correct and safe. Then you would also need the wheels. I made a comment that I liked the car, and they are good drivers……so why the hassle? 

AJ- maybe the pumpkin is the same Timken as the Stutz, maybe not. But the Stutz used three different ones over time and the parts are not all interchangeable just on the carrier. The outer parts are different than the Stutz……as I have had both of them apart. So, unless there is a 1927 8 parts chassis kicking around with wires……..I stand by my comments. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is not a big deal and I also like this Stearns....however.....I like the styling a bit better when the front vertical line of the radiator is centered over the front axle not placed ahead of the axle as this automobile shows.  The result to me is the front of the vehicle is a bit boxy  and front heavy.

Al

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Mike….never claimed to be perfect. It’s not broken. And having actually worked on one, and am reasonably familiar with what is left for available parts……unless you want to make drums, hubs, and spindles there aren’t any options left………what’s the cost of making all the parts from scratch? 30k, 50k, and it’s probably more. I have made drums in the past…….never tried to make hubs, and I have no clue as how one would make some spindles that would be correct and safe. Then you would also need the wheels. I made a comment that I liked the car, and they are good drivers……so why the hassle? 

AJ- maybe the pumpkin is the same Timken as the Stutz, maybe not. But the Stutz used three different ones over time and the parts are not all interchangeable just on the carrier. The outer parts are different than the Stutz……as I have had both of them apart. So, unless there is a 1927 8 parts chassis kicking around with wires……..I stand by my comments. 

I can tell you that the spare worm and gear that came with the Brunn is identical to the one in my Stutz.   Stutz is a 28,  Stearns is a 29,  and you might be right about things changing. 

But I'm with Mike on this one.   The car would be even better with wires.

10 hours ago, alsfarms said:

It is not a big deal and I also like this Stearns....however.....I like the styling a bit better when the front vertical line of the radiator is centered over the front axle not placed ahead of the axle as this automobile shows.  The result to me is the front of the vehicle is a bit boxy  and front heavy.

Al

I agree.   Placement of the radiator is critical to the overall proportions of the car and typically makes the hood look much longer.    On a 500K/540K Mercedes the "Sport" chassis has the radiator set back about 5 inches along with the steering box and the cowl, etc.    It makes a big difference in appearance.

It looks like the placement is the same on the later cars too but I had never noticed.   I would still love to have this car,  put black wires on it with blackwall tires and lose the red on the outside of the car. 

IMG_20210304_0003.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I agree.   Placement of the radiator is critical to the overall proportions of the car and typically makes the hood look much longer.    On a 500K/540K Mercedes the "Sport" chassis has the radiator set back about 5 inches along with the steering box and the cowl, etc.    It makes a big difference in appearance.

It looks like the placement is the same on the later cars too but I had never noticed.   I would still love to have this car,  put black wires on it with blackwall tires and lose the red on the outside of the car. 

IMG_20210304_0003.jpg

I never think of Styling with Stearns. John N. Willys was a Knight patent advocate thus the late cars were a result of his enthusiasm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, George K said:

I never think of Styling with Stearns. John N. Willys was a Knight patent advocate thus the late cars were a result of his enthusiasm.

Agree George. I think of the 90s series cars as being ridiculously over built and well engineered.

• Like 1

The worm and bull are the same but the carrier housing and bearings are not. I am 100 percent certain. I have a high speed set on the shelf and you need different parts to install depending on years including bearings. I watched George do the project. 

12 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Al

AL:

I've noted that as well.  Their six-cylinder models have the radiator centered over the front axle plane.  When the eight-cylinder was developed, chances are the financial condition of the company prevented them from re-engineering the chassis to allow the changes needed to keep the radiator centered on the front axle plane as it had been.  It does impart a somewhat front-heavy look to the eight-cylinder series.

This G-8-85 is such an appealing example, one can forgive that drawback.  While wire wheels would be nice, though unavailable, simply de-emphasizing the spokes with a color change would be suitably effective.    I presume this is a Philips convertible coupe body.

Philips Custom Body Co., Philips Carriage, Stutz, Frank W. Philips, Edwin P. Carter, Philips-bodied, Briggs Mfg. Co., Sterling-Knight, Willys-Knight, Studebaker, Franklin, LeBaron - CoachBuilt.com

Steve

• Thanks 1

Last auction ended at $72k.  Maybe the difference is reflected in the possible changes noted above?