Across the USA in a Model A 1961

Restorer32

Several months ago we purchased a garage full of parts and a body that was originally a Model A Coupe. The widow selling them mentioned that she and her husband drove the A from Gettysburg to Calif in 1961 and promised to send us their written "diary" of the trip. That "diary" arrived Saturday and I can't wait to read it.  Will pass along any interesting gleanings.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

That sounds like an ambitious trip. Theres a guy that goes to local car shows that has a '32 roadster hiboy, period late 50's hot rod complete with cadillac motor. He bought it in LA in the late 50's while he was in the Navy. He travelled back and forth to the east coast a couple of times. Has a newspaper article about it. 

There is a Pierce Arrow owner that lives in the San Diego area.

A few years ago the National Pierce Arrow Society meet was held in New York.

He drove his 1932, if I remember the year correctly, from San Diego to New York and back for the meet.

Obviously, he was a slam dunk for the long distance award. :P

And yes, post some excerpts from the journal.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interesting how people drove their A back in the 60s but today across town is stressful. With people of today that do not care about vintage cars so they will not have the patience to be behind one. 

What happened to the fellow from the west coast that drove his late 20s Cadillac on long hauls??? 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In 1957 my father bought sight unseen a 1929 Rolls Royce limo from Sam Adleman in Mt Vernon New York. Our family , father, mother, brother and I drove the Rolls from Mt Vernon to Seattle. My parents made an educational trip for us kids. We made all the interesting and historical stops along the way. The trip took 6 weeks.

The only problems were the vacuum tank failed and was replaced with an auto pulse electric. The radiator needed to be boiled out in Warland Wyo, seems the hotter weather caused the car to run a bit warm. 

We ended driving nearly 5000 miles crossing the country with little or no trouble. I still remember the incredible things we saw and took advantage of, especially Yellowstone. 

The Rolls had 24,000 original miles when we purchased it and today its still in the family, with just under 35,000 miles. It is truly an original unrestored incredible automobile. it has been shown, toured, and part of family members weddings. It's in my brothers care and likely will pass on to his oldest son to stay in the family. The Rolls has been part of our family for nearly 75 years, must be some kinda record .

brasscarguy

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Interesting how people drove their A back in the 60s but today across town is stressful. With people of today that do not care about vintage cars so they will not have the patience to be behind one. 

What happened to the fellow from the west coast that drove his late 20s Cadillac on long hauls??? 

If you are thinking of Cadillac Carl,  he passed away  sometime back.   He resided in Washington.

Ben

July 20, 1961  "We stopped Wednesday morning at some small truck stop and heard on the radio that a second astronaut was being sent up.  We drove on into the Smokies.  I don't know how to describe the old gnarled pines, mountain streams and waterfalls lined with rhododendrons and mountain laurel and the 5 bears which had come out to sun themselves after the thunder storm."

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

July 20, 1961  "We stopped Wednesday morning at some small truck stop and heard on the radio that a second astronaut was being sent up.  We drove on into the Smokies.  I don't know how to describe the old gnarled pines, mountain streams and waterfalls lined with rhododendrons and mountain laurel and the 5 bears which had come out to sun themselves after the thunder storm."

If that is a small sample of the prose that is in that journal, I would love to read a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I would love to read this journal sometime. I have some experience with self-publishing (having written two self-published books and one "real" book) and would be willing to help you with that if you'd consider making it available in that way.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, large portions of this "diary" have disappeared in the last 60+ years. The lady gave us what she had which only amounts to 5-10 pages and they say virtually nothing about the car other than the continuously rising flat tire count.