Disassembled steel panel gas station building - Wenatchee, WA Craigslist.

NOT MINE

I don't know where to put this, so here it is.

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/pts/d/wenatchee-1929-signal-gas-station-30-30/7610312029.html

From ad:

Email:  93ad81eb0d413e3a920fc8427bfa06c1@sale.craigslist.org

This Steel Panel Building is Dismantled and in a Pile. The Picture is for Reference Only. The building is another project that I will not get to.
Sorry But your imagination is the best I can provide. I dismantled it 30 years ago and took lots of pics only to have the rolls of film be destroyed in a fire before I got them developed.
All panels are in 2 piles and pics of the piles are of no help. The building was tall enough as it had a hydraulic car hoist in the floor. You can see the building behind the ambulance is Lyles Used Cars.
I know how you feel and I am laughing as I write.... The building was sitting on a 6" curb poured with the floor. I was going to pour the floor and curb and install a 6 " steel channel atop the curb and build the building on the channels that is not connected to the curb. Unatached to the curb and on skids (channel iron) the building is PORTABLE and requires NO BUILDING PERMITT ................. C@@L

DB

00K0K_5arhlGCgRqm_09S06T_1200x900.jpg

00P0P_lVkwTnrOFYO_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

01111_6j8VpSQlClu_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_3mbYwVrnKg5_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Based on a close read of the ad, and local knowledge, IGNORE THE PICTURE OF THE RICHFIELD STATION. It is not like that. Signal gas was a thing around here, so that part could be right I guess. It was a landmark for decades here as a used car lot. I remember this building well, and it is not the same shape as the Richfield station. It was a polygon. See the diagrams. Those look about right to me.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are definitely some erector set style gas stations from the 30s 40s and 50s that would make an exceptional hobby building. Unfortunately, in this case he doesn’t have any pictures and I can’t imagine how hard it would be to figure out where everything goes.

• Like 2

Pretty hard I imagine... on the other hand, it wasn't large. One bay. How bad could it be? I don't think we will find any pictures of this one assembled. The reason I think so is when we had a thread about old gas stations a while back, this was an obvious one for me to post. I think I dug to the bottom of the Internet and never found a picture. Surprising at the time, but knowing that, I'm not surprised that all we get is a grainy picture behind an ambulance.

I have noticed buildings like this have become interesting to some collectors who have the land, money, and ambition to deal with such a project. That's why I posted. I sincerely hope somebody swoops in and saves this one from the scrapyard.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Pretty hard I imagine... on the other hand, it wasn't large. One bay. How bad could it be? I don't think we will find any pictures of this one assembled. The reason I think so is when we had a thread about old gas stations a while back, this was an obvious one for me to post. I think I dug to the bottom of the Internet and never found a picture. Surprising at the time, but knowing that, I'm not surprised that all we get is a grainy picture behind an ambulance.

I have noticed buildings like this have become interesting to some collectors who have the land, money, and ambition to deal with such a project. That's why I posted. I sincerely hope somebody swoops in and saves this one from the scrapyard.

There is a thread on here where somebody posted a picture of an erector set style gas station sitting in the back of a junk yard in Colorado.   I've tried to find it again but have failed.  It would make an awesome 1 car backyard garage.

This first one is an example that was for sale 10 years ago:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=78503

a516fc8ba44bfd4e9b7a43d570ed4ba0.jpg

https://www.enarco.com/union/images/texas_columbian.jpg

Original condition Standard OIl station for sale in California | Old gas  stations, American classic cars, Standard oil

https://www.enarco.com/union/images/columbian_browning.jpg

• Like 2

I remember the whistler on the radio on Sunday evenings in the Seattle area. Their tag line was go farther with Signal and on signs and print ads  it was a play on words as the father wearing a hat and ran out of gas "go farther with signal gas"

There were even a couple of black and white movies, titled, "the Whistler" with the same sound track as the radio program

just sayin'

frontyboy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's hard to imagine working in a steel panel gas station in the extreme summer or winter weather in many parts of the country. I worked at such a station in the mild northern California climate and still  spent the summer outside following the shade around the building and winter, inside, huddled by a small electric heater. 

• Like 3

When I was a young man (1960's) short self tapping hex screws were called "Gas Station Screws" and I was told they were used to put stations like this together. I think anything harder than this one would be too difficult for me these days: 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/6/2023 at 9:06 PM, alsancle said:

There is a thread on here where somebody posted a picture of an erector set style gas station sitting in the back of a junk yard in Colorado.   I've tried to find it again but have failed.  It would make an awesome 1 car backyard garage.

This first one is an example that was for sale 10 years ago:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=78503

a516fc8ba44bfd4e9b7a43d570ed4ba0.jpg

https://www.enarco.com/union/images/texas_columbian.jpg

Original condition Standard OIl station for sale in California | Old gas  stations, American classic cars, Standard oil

https://www.enarco.com/union/images/columbian_browning.jpg

I have tried to find that thread as well.  IIRC the fellow lived in NY and owned a project Playboy. Perhaps someone remembers who it is.