Rim Spreader advice please

Rata Road

Today I found a rear wheel had split open on my Chrysler. I'm going to a swap meet in a couple of days and would like advice on what to buy if I can find anything there.

Tyres are 4.75 - 5.00 x 20.

Is there different size spreaders of the era or do they cover several rim sizes?

Thanks

DSCN4084.JPG

DSCN4085.JPG

Release the pressure in the tire and remove the split rim and tyre, then make a detailed cross sectional drawing of the rim, and carry the drawing with you for reference purposes. Split rims come in many widths and profiles, so you need to find one that will match.

Sadly your one has cracked due to fatigue or rust issues, it may be repairable to use as a spare, but better to find a replacement.

Also check with Coker tire and see if they make new ones with the same cross section.

• Like 1

I imagine that you are looking for the typical era three arm screw jack type rim spreader? There were many different manufacturers of those. Generally speaking, all of them were intended to fit a range of sizes of rims. One of the most common sizes of rim spreaders tops out at just over 21 inch (rim size). So, basically, almost any rim spreader you are likely to find should work on your 20 inch Chrysler rims. 

There were some cars of the late 1910s that used much larger size rims! I have seen 27 inch collapsible split rims, and 25 inch were fairly common. Finding a rim spreader large enough to spread those size rims is very tough!

I don't know about your side of the world? However, here in California, finding and getting 20 inch collapsible split rims is difficult. I need a couple rims myself, and although not urgent, I have been looking for some for twenty years. I did manage to pick up one about ten years ago. I have seen many 21 inch non-Ford split rims, and even a few 19 inch. I know a lot of people and cars using 20 inch split rims! But finding available 29 inch rims around here is tough.

Good luck at your upcoming swap meet!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, very helpful.

Luckily the car come with two spare wheels with Tyres attached so dont need the damaged rim but I wont throw it away.

I would like to get the rim out and save the Tyre & Tube.

Wayne - exactly what size (Dia and width & type of vehicle) rim do you need? I might be able to find one for you over here and I do enjoy a challenge looking for parts for people.

• Like 1

These  rims are not impossible to find.  It helps if you net work with early mopar owners.  I have several from 1928/29 Plymouths.  The could be the same as your Chrysler.  There are small differences in early rims.  Its best to take the rim with you.  Also note how they latch together.  There are several excellent reproduction catalogs for the early rims.   I would post on the Chrysler page of this forum,

3 of my cars use 20" rims.  

At F markets I have found some with bumps on one side, to control slip on.

If you find one with proper width, the hole for tube air inlet may not line up with your spokes,,,,,,just drill a new hole and fill the other. 

I have also had issues with a  notch to help locate rim with one of the mounting  bolts passing thru

Use that as a base, and adjust accordingly

Best wishes.

• Like 1

I cut 2 pieces of wood 2X 8? in a half moon shape to fit inside the rim of my 21 Paige.  A bottle jack or old car jack in between the 2 pieces of wood and it put even pressure when expanding the rim.  Don't remember who sent me this ,but it worked

split rim 2.gif

Edited by 31plymouth
add picture -edit dialog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

And I used it today, easy to operate and works perfect.

Chrysler rims are great as they have a lock pin, easy to work with just stretch open the rim a bit to take pressure off lock pin, drive the lock pin out then wind the spreader the other way to compress the rim until about 2 inch overlap at the join then pull it out/off the tyre, reverse procedure to insert.

• Like 1

My first antique automobile, a 1929 Reo coupe, had a rim spreader under the seat when I bought it. Sold the car almost fifty years ago, but still have the rim spreader! It is a nice one. Some years back, I got a couple of them in a pickup load of parts I bought cheap. They were broken, one of them badly repaired. I worked them over, made a replacement piece for one of the hand cranks. I straightened some bent arms (both had been BADLY abused!), and re-brazed some broken castings. Now I keep my nice one nice, and use the two repaired ones. The smaller one for model T rims (light duty), the bigger one for the Paige's rims! They are a lot tougher to work on!

Fun stuff!