Radio removal and restoration

MrFreeze

On the project list for springtime is getting my radio straightened out.  Currently I have a PO-installed aftermarket radio in the glove box, and a non-functional original radio in the dash.  Plan is to remove the aftermarket unit and have the original radio modified for bluetooth.  Anyone done this?  How do you like it?  Who did the radio modification?  Or would you advise a different path?

I didn't have time to finish radio removal yesterday, and I won't get back to it for a bit, but can someone advise me if I just need to remove the 2 bolts from the bottom and then I will be able to slide the unit out?  Or is it attached in the back also?  See pic...

Thanks for your help,

Bottom of radio.jpg

1 hour ago, MrFreeze said:

On the project list for springtime is getting my radio straightened out.  Currently I have a PO-installed aftermarket radio in the glove box, and a non-functional original radio in the dash.  Plan is to remove the aftermarket unit and have the original radio modified for bluetooth.  Anyone done this?  How do you like it?  Who did the radio modification?  Or would you advise a different path?

I didn't have time to finish radio removal yesterday, and I won't get back to it for a bit, but can someone advise me if I just need to remove the 2 bolts from the bottom and then I will be able to slide the unit out?  Or is it attached in the back also?  See pic...

Thanks for your help,

Bottom of radio.jpg

What year is your car? The chassis and body manuals for your car are your best friends. I have attached the removal procedure for the 1963. Should be similar for 1964 and 1965. Others will have to chime in if your car is a later year.

Is your radio AM or AM/FM? That might make a difference on which way you want to go. I have an AM/FM and left it original. I had it refurbished and the sound enhanced. Also had a pigtail added so that I can play my Ipod or phone through it. Very happy with that. Others have gone the route of having the internals replaced with new technology with extras such as bluetooth. Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Bill

Bill

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

I have a RediRad in my car.  You set the dial on your radio to a given signal, then plug the RediRad pigtail into any device, the RediRad interrupts the signal from the antenna and picks up the signal from your device.  All of the radio controls work as designed.  You’re just picking up a signal from a different source.  If you’re picking up your music from a source like Sirius Radio or Pandora, and you do not have a Wi-Fi hot spot, you’ll be incurring data charges.  If you have your music downloaded on your own device, you’re home free.

Sorry to not include, car is a '64.  I have all factory manuals.  They are sometimes not the easiest to decipher, and real-world experience is often invaluable, so I ask...

Never heard of RediRad, I'll look into that.  I would still need to get my original AM radio repaired.  Anyone know of a good source for that service?  I'm in Seattle, WA, but can certainly ship to wherever.

Thanks,

MrFreeze

On 4/30/2023 at 2:33 PM, MrFreeze said:

Plan is to remove the aftermarket unit and have the original radio modified for bluetooth.  Anyone done this?  How do you like it?  Who did the radio modification?

I spent a lot of time on my original AM/FM Delco. I didn't have the heart to do a conversion on it. I had a wonderbar AM but with it functional, left it alone.

In the end, my AM/FM sounds so good you wouldn't think it was Mono. I added a 3.5mm phone jack and an Ali-Express B-T Adapter.

If I went ahead with a conversion, it would've been an Aurora-Design. Expensive but the BEST! You won't be disappointed!

https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html

image.png.7a8688726767a706701e8fc35762b06f.png

I sent my original to Gary Tayback, (Tayback Electrical LLC 941-371-8924) in Sarasota Fl. for conversion. Came back looking like new inside & out. Quick turnaround, easy installation w complete detailed instructions. Gary set me up w perfect fit dual-cone speakers front & rear for true stereo sound. Mic mounted at the mirror, USB plug where the cig lighter was. Gary is very likable, easy to deal with, & will explain your different options. Not cheap, but the best thing that's happened to the Riv so far.   good luck, Drew

On 4/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, MrFreeze said:

I would still need to get my original AM radio repaired.  Anyone know of a good source for that service?

Usually re-capping a Delco (replacing electrolytic capacitors) brings it back. If it still won't function, I recommend a conversion which would be an upgrade in several steps such as FM, stereo, B-T and Aux. Input.

I have all factory manuals.  They are sometimes not the easiest to decipher

What Delco Model number is yours? Google it and make sure it is a '64. Lucky the 64 Shop manual shows schematics for both, the 6-transistor AM and 9-transistor Wonderbar but no reference to Delco Model number.

If the Shop Manual schematic is correct, your 1st task is to build a BOM by identifying only electrolytic capacitors along with their values C1 to C57. You'll have about a dozen listed not 57. Then order from places like Digikey.

Never heard of RediRad, I'll look into that.

One thing to keep in mind when adding an RF Adapter to a functional radio and the Redirad product is better. 60s Delco radios had crude final stage amplifiers that distort above 6 out-of-10, worse when hot. 10 ohm speaker requirement limits your selection of otherwise popular 6X9 replacements (most are 4 ohms).

I would still need to get my original AM radio repaired.

So, nothing in-between. Repair or a comprehensive conversion.

Mr Freeze;

Bill The Radio Guy here in SAhelton, WA and a dealer for Aurora Design as previously mentioned.

If you wish you can call me at 253 576 4076 text or phone and ask anything you wish.

Bill Newman Bill The Radio Guy

billtheradioguy.com

bill@billtheradioguy.com

• Thanks 1