DONATE!!!

Walt G

Some of us have reasonably extensive collections, libraries, archives of period material. the AACA says that they are "America's Automotive Library" and that indeed is the truth. Beyond AACA's collection several clubs also use the AACA facilities as the deposit location of choice to house their organizations collections of material. That really says something to me as someone who is an active 'storyteller' and I have great respect for the staff there who look beyond what they do as "just a job" . You have to love the material. SO many places to find something - sales, periodicals , photographs, etc. Expand that to not just material published in the USA - many European publications pre war featured images and information on vehicles that were imported for sale. the dealerships and printed sales literature for American makes in Europe is outstanding.

I am donating 8 issues of the annual "motor show numbers" of the British Autocar magazine to the AACA library. All are heavy volumes with amazing content. They will fill in areas that AACA does not already have and date from 1919 to 1934. These will arrive at the AACA HQ and Library most likely in the summer. I do not want to ship to possibly see them get damaged or lost in the transfer.  Here is a view of what will be coming.

PLEASE  DONATE - read the guidelines of how and what is wanted/needed do not just send random piles of material. Please also appreciate the task that the library staff has when accepting materials and also providing information. All of this material will be there for generations to come.

Autocarmagazines.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Such a wonderful thing you do here! And so many things you do are wonderful and appreciated by many people that frequent this forum.

Thank you.

Most of what I have is far too common to be needed by the AACA library. However a few special pieces I do have may go there if I have much to say about it.

Thank you Wayne. I am just playing it forward , trying to carry on what others have done in the past with the neat material they had collected. It has a lot to do with the genuine people and attitude that prevails  at AACA HQ and library have as well.  That contributes an enormous amount to where the period material "belongs" . The Philadelphia Library collection realized that within the recent past and AACA was a major recipient of material from there. That was a major decision.

• Like 2

I’m keyed up to make a major donation to the AACA Library in the reasonable near future……..special things belong where people can see and experience them. 👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I too have made some significant donations to our library.  I decided better now then when I am gone as I get to see the material available to all who need it.  They will be stuck with my entire library someday but for now I keep bringing pieces in, even my original DeLorean contract when I was a dealer.  I have been fortunate to get some pretty special items over my years in this hobby.  I am very thankful to Walt to highlight the importance of preserving this material.

What Makes our library especially special is that it is a FREE library.  Not a member?  No Problem.  Not in this country?  No problem.  Can't visit here to do your own research?  Not a problem!  We exist only to serve the hobby and continue to invest in our holdings and to ensure that we have the best storage, fire protection, security and HVAC controls.  

Members do get 2 hours per year of free research by the staff and charges for copies are nominal although we do have to increase them very soon due to costs.  Research is very reasonable considering the Library educated staff we have.  

Also remember we welcome you here in our building to do your own research!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Most of what I have is far too common to be needed by the AACA library. 

Check with them first to see:  You might think they

have it, but it may fill a hole in the collection!

I gave the library issues of Mechanix Illustrated magazines,

which have insightful and humorous reviews by Tom McCahill.

At that time, they had very few issues.  I suspect many are 

still not there.

So even modest collections may have value.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Check with them first to see:  You might think they

have it, but it may fill a hole in the collection!

I totally agree with that! It is what I did before I donated. Jen Wolfe was kind enough to have volunteers check their collection and that is how I saw what they did not have and really would benefit from if they could "fill the hoes" in the collection. It is all good.

• Like 2