Valve adjustment on 35 40 series

Buick35

My engine states to adjust valves to .015 engine hot.I was wondering if this could be accomplished using a heat gun for the same results rather than the motor cooling down while adjusting. I heard one or two of my rear tappets were a little louder than the rest. Thanks.

Edited by Buick35
Spelling (see edit history)

I adjust valves with engine warmed up and running at a low idle.  It takes some practice to use the wrench and screw driver to make a change while running.  There was a tool made that incorporated a socket and and screw driver blade with a palm knob on the top to turn the screwdriver blade.  I wish I had one today.

Bob Engle

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 12:44 PM, Buick35 said:

My engine states to adjust valves to .015 engine hot.I was wondering if this could be accomplished using a heat gun for the same results rather than the motor cooling down while adjusting. I heard one or two of my rear tappets were a little louder than the rest. Thanks.

No you can't use a heat gun. The complete block needs to be hot. As Robert says, check while running with a STEEL feeler gage. even if you only locate the ticky ones, you can adjust them with it stopped until they are right.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2023 at 5:56 PM, Oldtech said:

No you can't use a heat gun. The complete block needs to be hot. As Robert says, check while running with a STEEL feeler gage. even if you only locate the ticky ones, you can adjust them with it stopped until they are right.

Good advice, but also be sure to adjust the rest of the valves - not only the "ticking" ones,

the ones not ticking just may be too tight, not allowing the valve to sit on the head long enough (or at all), possibly leading to burned valves

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2023 at 7:52 PM, drovak said:

The last time I tried to use my old Craftsman feeler gauges while it was running, they turned bowl-shaped thanks to the hammering action. :(

I had that happen many years ago - 1950s?

Learned to drive enough to get engine up to full operating and then drive several more miles-

then pull the valve / rocker cover with engine off, and adjust valves.

Always worked like a charm, from my 1932, and 1951 Chevys up to my 1958 Triumph TR-3

• Like 1