Trailer Tie-Down Locations

I have a new 24-foot trailer which came with only 4 tie-down rings. I plan to install e-track. My mostly pre-1915 cars vary widely in size. Track widths (to centers of tires) go from 30" up to 59-1/2". Any suggestions on where I should install the e-track? 

Phil

Surface mount etrac laid out in a grid

pattern surface mounted on your

trailer floor works well.

Two lengths running the full

length from front to rear - with

cross sections in between.

My tips on securing vehicles

inside of an enclosed trailer:

For Model A:

For Classic Cars:

For Model T and Early Brass Cars:

@  

My method is basically the same in

that the vehicle has a 7 point tie down

to keep it from shifting inside an 

enclosed car hauler trailer.

Jim

• Haha 1

I don't own a trailer....... however I see a wide variety of methods for tie downs. 

The most common are crossing the straps ( attach to car on one side and tie to trailer on the other) 

or keeping the trailer tie down on the same side as the car tie down.

The crossing method seem best to me. 

Also it seems 50% of trailer owners do not cross their safety chains.   My dad showed me that 60 years ago. 

Think this answers the question in my mind...... crude sketch,  trailer is bottom line/ vehicle is top line 

The tie down when crossed greatly reduce the possible side to side shift of the vehicle.

trailer tie.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I agree safety chains shoud be crossed, supposedly provides a “cradle” for the tongue.  I say supposedly because it depends on where chains are attached and what fails.

I do not agree with cross strapping a car in or on trailer.

Strap front to back, one strap fails,car stays where it is.

Cross strap, one strap fails, car is free to move with remaining strap pulling it in that direction.

Search Youtube for demostrations of same.  I know its a big debate, but there’s no advantage which I can see to cross strap.

• Haha 1

With all due deference to my longtime friend David,

I generally both Cross-tie,

And Straight-tie,

Both front and rear !

... But then again, if I thought it necessary, I might wear both a belt - and suspenders

Extra backup can't hurt.

My cars will likely not move even if the trailer suffers major damage.

I have believed in Backup Systems, both when I was designing Management Information Systems, and wherever safety may be an issue.

• Like 1

No opinion on how, but a long time friend now gone that delivered farm machinery and tractors back in the 50s-60s told me he always tied his load down so if he rolled over in a ditch the load would still be secured. He didn't want to loose a load or cause a big accident if it came off in traffic. He claims to have rolled a load and it did stay together.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Boy oh boy!   Unfortunately I have no pictures, but you guys would have lost your mind if you saw the way we loaded and secured cars in a furniture trailer with all your household goods.  If loaded tight beside the car, and on top, how can the rascal move?😁😁.

Ben

Ben, you may have a distant cousin who drove for SECURITY, based in New Orleans. The state contracted to move our stuff here from Richmond, VA back in 1977. Fortunately, my wife's cousin was the lawyer for the company. When my wife pointed out a serious scratch and dent in a valuable antique piece of furniture, he said "That ain't damage - THIS IS DAMAGE" and then grabbed his screwdriver, gouged it, and cursed her out.

The company quickly made good on a huge amount of damage, and told us the driver would never work for them again. 
I transported the cars myself.