1921 Dodge Touring rear ender attachment bolts

Don Jr.

Hi, Would like to know what kind of washers are used to attach the rear fenders too the body. I see the fender holes are elongated. Assume standard style hex head bolts and then lock washers and then either plain round washers or oval ones? Fenders were off the car when I purchased it. Thanks.

O.K. great. I got a big bunch of bolts with the car in coffee cans.  I figured out the front bolts that are caged so I have that figured out. But  I have all sorts of washers. I will purchase the thicker fender washers and trim them as someone suggested. I assume no lock washers?

Don, the DB parts manual lists plain washer and lock washer but unfortunately no picture of the style.

The US patents office lists the star lock washer as patent applied for in 1918 and granted in 1922.

F044621E-53FB-4DCB-A267-890882390C69.jpeg.9706b323a6f0eec4a9e01b3d8dd825bf.jpeg

The early spring lock washer was a dished washer rather than a split washer. Invented by a german in Russia I think, mainly for railway fish plates.

The early DB parts book I looked at only shows a lock washer for the rear fenders. It does seem as though as big as the slot is it should have a flat washer too. I think a real fender washer would have to have a flat either bent up or cut off as the bolts are pretty close to the fold in the fender. Could be bent over in a vice with a hammer. Maybe an oval washer? McMaster Carr would have them. I have an unmolested car I will have to look at. 

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate the help. Roughed out the rear fenders and primed them. They were all messed up. I went out and see how I will need thinner fender washers under the rear of the body to allow the washers to shape to the contour.  I see there are 5/16  and 3/8 standard bolts used to hang the fenders. I tapped the holes to attach the fender next week.  Will call Myers to get fender welting for them and radiator shell welting too. Also I remember pulling what looked like pieces of  fire hose material that was between frame and body on the donor chassis and body where bolt attached body to frame  I do not believe it ran all the way on both rails. I will dig them out to see if i am correct or if this is another patch job.

Hi, I dug out my bucket of bolts. I bagged them years ago according what I pulled off. And have a bunch of mystery bolts and brackets I will need help on finding out what they are for as they were loose in coffee cans. I found some bent fender washers shaped for the rear fenders so will use them for example of new ones. I found a bag of rather long square headed bolts with square nuts. Assume these are for holding the body on? And in that bag have one rectangle piece of that fire hose material about 1/4 inches thick. Looks like it was white at one time and the hole is the same diameter as the long square headed bolts so assume this is the body mounting spacer? I will photograph the bolts and pad so possibly someone can recognize them . Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 12:56 PM, Don Jr. said:

Hi, I dug out my bucket of bolts. I bagged them years ago according what I pulled off. And have a bunch of mystery bolts and brackets I will need help on finding out what they are for as they were loose in coffee cans. I found some bent fender washers shaped for the rear fenders so will use them for example of new ones. I found a bag of rather long square headed bolts with square nuts. Assume these are for holding the body on? And in that bag have one rectangle piece of that fire hose material about 1/4 inches thick. Looks like it was white at one time and the hole is the same diameter as the long square headed bolts so assume this is the body mounting spacer? I will photograph the bolts and pad so possibly someone can recognize them . Thanks.

Here are the original washers of the 25 tourer I’m working on now. 

919B7345-D3F3-47F3-883D-9D88593211ED.jpeg

D16EBE0B-79E4-42A5-A9D5-1C6AAF597C49.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Appreciate it. I can shape my new fender washers to look like OEM. And apologize for the delay on answering. For some reason my login does not always come in so I do not get the mail notification. My wonky computer.

• Like 1