1962 Buick Electra Convertible $15,000 Not Mine

Marketplace - 1962 Buick Electra | Facebook

Runs and drives excellent. 71k miles believe to be actual. Car sat in a warehouse since 1989. Clean clear title in hand. 401 Wildcat motor. Rare bucket seats. AC which is all there but inop. Autronic eye. Power top not working. Lights and gauges work with exception of speedometer. Odometer works as it should. Prime candidate for restoration or drive as is. Yes it has some minor rust. It’s located south of Kansas City MO 64701. NO TRADES. SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. $15k firm or I’ll keep it. If it’s posted it’s available. Won’t respond to “is it available?” Eight one six. Six zero four. Eight zero nine four

Product photo of 1962 Buick Electra

Product photo of 1962 Buick Electra

• Like 3

First glance, it seems like a nice car, but there are some issues. Back window has gone south and a close look at the interior looks uneven. Don't know if it just needs cleaning, or if it's deteriorating. Underneath of the car looks scary IMO. Seems like the rust is starting to take hold and you could end up chasing rust issues. This was a very cool car, but too many questions. Honest presentation though. 

On 3/11/2023 at 8:48 AM, Ed Luddy said:

I sold mine a few years ago for $6000 Canadian. It now resides in Sweden.

That would have been about $5,200 American.  

I’ve read all the comments most of which I agree with. But this forum has about an 85/15% split of what we believe are overpriced cars, like this one and the Pontiac wagons to name a couple, versus cars we believe are ‘right’ priced.  

What would you pay for this 62 Buick Electra convertible?  $5,000?  $10,000?  Where are the driver level $7,500 1960s convertibles?  

Do you folks just add $10,000 for the #2 convertibles out there then fret about every little detail but win award after award.   I’m being a bit sarcastic here but there seems to be a division on our thinking about this car.   

There is surface rust and some perforation rust underneath but of the 250 cars I have owned, that’s the norm. And if the 75 or so that were drivers, 50 had rust thru somewhere ( some until restored).   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I’ve read all the comments most of which I agree with. But this forum has about an 85/15% split of what we believe are overpriced cars, like this one and the Pontiac wagons to name a couple, versus cars we believe are ‘right’ priced.  

What would you pay for this 62 Buick Electra convertible?  $5,000?  $10,000?  Where are the driver level $7,500 1960s convertibles?  

Do you folks just add $10,000 for the #2 convertibles out there then fret about every little detail but win award after award.   I’m being a bit sarcastic here but there seems to be a division on our thinking about this car.   

There is surface rust and some perforation rust underneath but of the 250 cars I have owned, that’s the norm. And if the 75 or so that were drivers, 50 had rust thru somewhere ( some until restored).   

The main question for me would be the extent of rust and for this car that would require an in-person inspection or a ton more good photos. Assuming no major surprises and a good running and driving car I would attempt negotiate on the price but I don't think his ask is all that far off for a loaded convertible that would make a great driver almost as is. I used to be guilty of what a lot of folks here are - still thinking about prices and values with my mind stuck 15 to 20 years ago or more. In my case, at 74 years old, I still remember cars like this going for less than $1000 in the 1970s. I finally got over that about 20 years ago.

I would set the value of this car by  first assessing the needs for it to be a solid #2. Rust is apparent in this car and to evaluate the cost to do the repairs, an examination would be necessary. If the frame is solid and no patch panels are necessary than that might not be too bad, if it goes the other way, you could be underwater from the start. The interior really bothers me. The unevenness of the color of the upholstery and the dash pad that is on its way out could add up to big dollars. The top is gone, by the looks of the rear window, so the dollars just keep adding up. At this point mechanicals are an unknown, but you do know how the seller has kept the rest of the car..... All of that said, I have only owned one convertible in my life and only for two years, so that might say something about how I value convertibles (more maintenance). With the issues that you know and what you don't know IMO it's a $12,000 car. I personally would not buy the car at any price, but that is what I see that value at. 

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Due to covid inflation I'd say around $7500-$8000. This car shows some rust and cheapo exhaust out the side. Makes me think it has more corners cut.

Just my .02 cents.

• Like 1

Of course none of us know for sure since we haven’t seen the car in person and we’re just looking at pictures. I always find these conversations interesting about the value of a car.

some opinions seem to reflect what the person posting says they would pay for the car. Others are more focused on “will the seller get close to their asking price”. It sounds like I am the contrarian about this car, but I think he will get close to his asking price. These cars are beautiful in person and he only needs to find one person. If he’s patient I don’t think he’ll have to compromise too much on the price before someone shows up excited to have it. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with you John. That car has issues but he is playing with house money. Meaning he is enjoying it, has done a fair bit to get it running and somewhat reliable out of long term storage, where he likely paid $4,000 or less (I wish I was in the right place at the right time ). 

Now he doesn’t want to drop the $1500 to do the AC nor the $1500 on the exhaust of $1000 on the dash pad.  So you do that AND pay me $15,000.  

But the reality is there are at least 30 million baby boomers that despite the struggling stock market are still sitting on nest eggs numbered in the 6 and 7 digits.   Lot of money out there.  

So all it needs to do is “speak” to one guy who envisions seasonable weather forays in the car and $15,000 is a drop in his 401k or pension bucket.  

If this car had a bench seat we would be having a different conversation.  I just watched My Classic Car yesterday that featured 2 early 60s Oldsmobile Starfires.  It makes a difference in sportiness and I think the front seats can be saved.  Not for some silly judging but just a real nice 10-15 years of good driving pleasure.    

On the other hand manga comments noting this cars still their faults are relevant, but using that as a bargaining tool is kind of out of the question with the sellers attitude.