Airless tires

dodgebrother

First thing comes to mind is balancing them and cold weather driving and will they actually make WWW.....

Bridgestone Is Testing Airless Tires for Cars, Bikes

The world may soon be able to say farewell to flats for good as Bridgestone is set to begin testing its concept for "air-free" tires.

According to designboom, the company is working with Idemitsu Kosan to test out its radical tire concept on a small electric vehicle (EV). Idemitsu Kosan said it believes Bridgestone’s air-free tires could present meaningful environmental benefits while also helping to limit supply chain disruptions by preventing vehicle stoppages.

As Bridgestone points out, air pressure in tires is crucial to most vehicle performance since it acts as a shock absorber between the vehicle and the surface it’s traveling on. If the air pressure is off or if the tire deflates entirely, it’s a problem, as anyone who’s ever gotten a flat can attest.

Bridgestone’s concept takes inflation out of the equation by swapping in a structure consisting of resin spokes. The company said its concept tires not only reduce the need for maintenance and concern over punctures, but offer more design flexibility and recyclability than conventional rubber tires.

Bridgestone has been tinkering with the idea of air-free tires since 2011, when it introduced a non-pneumatic tire concept. The first concept, similar to the air-free tires being tested this month, featured spokes made from reusable thermoplastic resin along the inner sides of the tire to support the weight of a vehicle. The concept was described 12 years ago as a “cradle to cradle” process designed to keep materials in use for longer.

The second-generation of the air-free tire debuted in 2013 and featured a simplified design that reduced energy loss from tire rolling resistance. In 2017, Bridgestone debuted an air-free bike tire concept with the goal of bringing it to market by 2019.

I thought filling skid loader tires with foam for a run flat was silly, but I got tired of fixing flat tires. I have seen quite a few commercial mowers now sporting hollow rubber wheels, not to mention all of the Amish in my area that run steel wheels (also run flat, LOL). 

• Like 2

Is there any such thing as a "new idea" related to the automobile?   From the 1910 Sears catalog, the Model M was offered with tires that were promoted as nearly as "Special Cushion Tires with corrugated tread absorbing vibration almost equal to pneumatics".  The ad stated they would wear three times as long, with no trouble or repairs.Searstireinfo.jpg.b29787f1e7dfa7e384b90f2b5d836727.jpg

• Like 3

As Bryan said, the idea has been around for years. I saw a news item on "tweels" (a type of airless/tire wheel combo) ten or fifteen years ago. As I recall, one of the big issues with the product was conspicuous road noise.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, f.f.jones said:

Well, most places charge for air. If "inflation" inflation increases significantly, then airless tires might be a good buy.

Is it legal for gas stations in New York to charge you for air? - Quora

This air pump accepts credit cards. : r/mildlyinteresting

You mean there are air stations that actually work? And don't just take your money?😳

That 2nd one is just ripe for a card skimmer.

I tried "flat-free" tires on one of my hand trucks. Didn't work out so good when moving heavier stuff.