1958 Lister Beck Corvette FiTech 400hp fuel injection problem

CatBird

350 Chevrolet crate, small block, mild cam in a 1958 Lister replica built by Chuck Beck.

My car was running very well. FiTech 400hp 4bbl injection installed by a professional shop in Florida. I used the handheld to check initial setup and since it has a major problem and will easily start, but will not idle. I have to keep the revs at 2500, but dies.

Adding starting fluid to the throat and it runs quite well. This must be a fuel starvation problem. 

IMG-8222 (1).jpg

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)

Looks nice, need more info, when trying to idle, do you have the aircleaner assembly off? and is there fuel dribbling from the boosters into the engine? or raw fuel coming from the 'vent tubes'?  I'm thinking its a needle & seat problem allowing raw fuel to enter the engine and thats why it won't idle, that the RPM has to be high enough to burn the excessive fuel.

If 'yes' then an easy fix, pull the needle and seat(s) associated with the excessive fuel, shake & spray with carb cleaner and reinstall to about the same height as original, adjust to proper height with fuel pressure available with the sightglass or fuelbowl screw out.

I am just making a guess without proper & full information, I can easily be wrong.

This is an aftermarket electronic fuel injection system. Carb troubleshooting doesn't apply.

Is the FITech fuel map programmable? What AFR does it recommend for optimal? 13.7 is a shade fuel rich, but as you say sounds like a lean idle condition.

I'd also start looking for vacuum leaks.

60 years ago mechanical fuel injection was ornery about idling. They told us EFI would solve that. It does, kinda... until it doesn't!

I would check fuel supply and pressure, if that checks out, the TPS sensor should be checked. If your screen shot of the hand held tuner was taken with the car running, then the TPS or wire connection should be the problem. Good luck 🍀!

Edited by jdtaylor65@hotmail.com (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Speaking of fuel injection. My son and I put an E.F.I.system on his 66 Mustang about two years ago and found out today that we put the wrong rubber fuel hose on it since it cracked and started leaking.I bought a replacement hose of the same diameter and it was stamped on it saying not for use with a fuel injected system.The old hose didn't say that.So I bought a two foot piece of fuel injected hose.The guy behind the counter said it was 99 cents an inch! My son said he could get it cheaper on line.

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

Speaking of fuel injection. My son and I put an E.F.I.system on his 66 Mustang about two years ago and found out today that we put the wrong rubber fuel hose on it since it cracked and started leaking.I bought a replacement hose of the same diameter and it was stamped on it saying not for use with a fuel injected system.The old hose didn't say that.So I bought a two foot piece of fuel injected hose.The guy behind the counter said it was 99 cents an inch! My son said he could get it cheaper on line.

Hope it works out. Cheaper is not always better.  As been shown.

Ben

• Like 1