1937 2-dr. sedan project in MO.

13 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Most of the missing items are readily available. Cost of acquiring it all piecemeal might make it prohibitively expensive however. I have at least some of the pieces if anybody wants a project.

This is my issue.  Having been there - as soon as a potential seller knows you need a key part the asking price is $700.  You would like to get that part for $100 or $150.  But he knows you need it. 

Take that times about 15 key parts and you can get a complete project for $6000 or less.  

I saw this when I purchased my 1936 Roadmaster.  I needed a front seat frame.  Probably a couple doors.  There was a then well known 36-38 Buick parts guy in Minnesota.  I paid $700 for the car.  Joel in Oklahoma has the car now. 

Anyway, the parts seller knew I needed that seat frame.  $1000, 15 years ago.  To add up the parts I needed was probably $5k.  

Hold on, guys....as I see it, this discussion shouldn't ever have gotten this personal or derogatory towards another individual. But, now that it has, please allow me to make a comment.

ANYONE who needs 1936 to 1940 BUICK parts today should thank their lucky stars that the "well known BUICK parts seller in Minnesota" is still alive and still providing the variety of old BUICK parts very few other vendors can. For years, this individual has purchased and hauled back 1936-1940 BUICK parts cars from all over the U.S. I happen to know he continues to rent the land to store them on. Then, he has the privilege of sometimes going out in zero degree Minnesota weather to pull an old BUICK part one of us guys can't find anywhere else. In my experience, the item will be well-packed for safe shipment, with never an unreasonable charge for shipping.

In contrast, have you noticed how many guys are on the forum looking for parts from 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, and even 1990's BUICK's. They can't find them because most of the old salvage yards are gone, or have already crushed these vintages years ago. 

I have NEVER had a bad parts transaction with this individual in Minnesota. PLEASE NOTE: I'm not trying to wave this person's flag...it's just that I hate to see anyone smeared, when he's not around to tell his side of the story. Of course, that's easy to do online these days. However, in this case, it's also the safest way to proceed, rather than doing it in person. Anyone who knows the Minnesota parts vendor reasonably well will understand what I mean. He's a person who values his integrity, and is willing to defend it. Fortunately, this vendor isn't online, so he'll never see this thread.

O.K., I'm done, Gang! John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

John,

I assume the vendor being referred to is the same one I have met and dealt with different times. If it is he has always dealt fairly with me and had reasonable prices. It does seem strange however that a seat frame would cost that much however I can't begin to guess how much the shipping would have been and that might account for a good part of the price.

Carl

Carl, and anyone else....My intention in posting was not to address a specific parts transaction, or to be critical of our good BUICK guy on the forum, B Jake Moran. I do think B Jake's general point about parts availability and pricing is very well taken, but doesn't gain from the specific personal reference to a valued, long-time 1936-1940 BUICK parts seller. There's no doubt in my mind that B Jake experienced the situation he mentioned. However, as most of us have learned over the years, the vendor would likely have something to add to this story that might be in contrast.

Again, friends, I'm not intending to offend or be critical of anyone. I didn't even plan to comment further, after my initial post above. So, gang, I'll plan to "drive off into the sunset" about this subject, and not post further on it. Thanks, guys. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jolly_John said:

Carl, and anyone else....My intention in posting was not to address a specific parts transaction, or to be critical of our good BUICK guy on the forum, B Jake Moran. I do think B Jake's general point about parts availability and pricing is very well taken, but doesn't gain from the specific personal reference to a valued, long-time 1936-1940 BUICK parts seller. There's no doubt in my mind that B Jake experienced the situation he mentioned. However, as most of us have learned over the years, the vendor would likely have something to add to this story that might be in contrast.

Again, friends, I'm not intending to offend or be critical of anyone. I didn't even plan to comment further, after my initial post above. So, gang, I'll plan to "drive off into the sunset" about this subject, and not post further on it. Thanks, guys. John

John

If you knew me at all, and unfortunately we may know each other simply from the forum - but I appreciate criticism and correction. I do not have thin skin.  

let me make it clear that the individual we are likely referring to has always engaged me in good and honest conversation and I did not counter his asking price, so perhaps he might have gone lower.   He has advertised in Hemmings (or did) for years so I believe his reputation should have been stellar, or Hemmings would have put the kabash to his advertising. 

No, I was simply stating that I could see where my "non complete" purchase was going and decided to cash it in, as an example why not to buy the original posted vehicle.    His was a real world example of the costs of piece mealing a perhaps interesting car back together, it was in no way and indictment of his business practices or market knowledge.  

If it seemed that way, I apologize.  These are his parts to sell as he sees fit.  

Bottom line:  Buy as complete of a car as possible.  The original posted car is missing way too much to justify much more than a $500 purchases, especially as it will take much more than that for most of us to haul it home.  

• Like 4

Hello again, Gang. I know I promised to "ride off into the sunset" on this topic. However, I've just got to make one more post. It's to say "THANK YOU" to B. Jake. Jake, your most recent reply is excellent, and helpful to all. To me, it's a great example of the healthy dialogue that, hopefully, should always be part of guys interacting about something we all love....the old car hobby. 

And, I'm smiling as I type this, because Jake and I truly do share the same opinion about this car. Nice going, Jake. It is a pleasure interacting with you here on the forum. John

• Like 3

I have purchased more than one running driving complete prewar Buick parts cars in the past few years. Both were purchased for less than this one is listed for. 

Regarding Dave Tacheny, I have never seen him charge an unreasonable price for a part, and I would suspect there is a valid reason for his pricing decisions. I suspect that he was quoting that price based on high shipping cost. I can relate that a guy an hour and a half away from me needed a seat a couple of years ago. Dave told him that I had an extra seat and told him to call me, as it would have cost too much to ship a seat from his location to North Carolina. I sold the guy a seat and he came here and picked it up in person.    

• Like 3