1955 Buick special stalling problems and many more questions

55BuickSpecial

Hi there, I’m new to the forum and just had a question. 

Sorry, I have a lot of questions, thank you very much, and any information at all is helpful. 

I have a 1955 Buick special, and got it in September, 2022. I am the second owner and it has been kept in very good condition for all of its life. It has been garage kept, no rust, and all of the car is original unrestored. It did have a repaint from red to a darker blue colour, but besides that it is all original. I drove it all the way home and it was around a 300km drive, and had no issues except the battery dying, but luckily I bought one just in case. I did maintenance like changing the oil, trans, coolant, and brake already, and got new tires. 

When I start the car it turns on no problem in warmer weather, and take a bit longer to turn on in colder weather, but eventually it always turns on. Is there a correct way to start the car too, like how many times I pump gas and then start? When I get the engine fired up and then I let off the gas, you can hear the sound of the engine slowly dying, and then it just turns off. This happens almost every time, like 9/10 times. After I keep my foot on for a while and after the car is warmed up, but it takes around 20 minutes, and even after, it still my stall. it does not stall anymore. When I get it going and driving on the highway back no problem, but when I go into the city and with the stop and go traffic, it seems to stall when I come to a stop. This is my first classic car, and I was just wondering if this is normal occurrence, and is it something I can fix? I think it might have to do something with the fuel pump or the hose line, but I’m not sure. Any is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Some other questions I have as well: 

1. In the photos I have added, are the hubcaps original? And do you know another type I could buy they are period correct to 1955. (I lost one on the drive back). 

2. What other maintenance should I get done. Most of the car is is very good condition, but it has been sitting around for some time. There are a few leaks from either the transmission or somewhere in the engine bay. 

3. What are common problems with my car. I believe it has the 264 cu in engine, being a special, and just want to look out for problems, and so preventative maintenance. 

4. I bought new tires on the drive back, as the old ones were severely bald and old. I want to get a wide white wall, but don’t want to spend too much for all four. Should I buy bias-ply or Coker classics. And what is a good deal for these types of tires, used or new. 

5. My interior seats are ripped up, and headliner needs to be replaced. The previous owner put a cloth cover on, but underneath it is all ripped, and cannot just be patched up. It is a mixture of vinyl and fabric I believe. Is there any specific pattern I need to know or a design? 

6. This one I hope there is a solution. In the photos, my front bumper is less shiny than the rest of the chrome on the car. It is pretty dull I would say. I have looked online, and many people have recommended steel wool, autosol polish, and even aluminum foil and coke. I have tried some of these methods, and it has not worked. I don’t know if I’m doing it wrong, or if you guys would know a better solution. 

I also have the vin if this helps with anything like the original fabric, if that is what it shows. Also if anyone knows how to read where the car was built and all the information that can be deciphered from it, please let me know. 

Thank you for taking the time to read, and reply to any, or all of my questions. Cheers! 

0CA9362F-EE87-4ED5-84D6-88BF3723FC06.jpeg

DBED569D-D4E2-402E-B0F0-71571188280A.jpeg

D4E008C2-5CD3-4CDB-A398-EB49A76DAFAA.jpeg

625E8E98-9E1D-4F9A-B174-943AC997F898.jpeg

0E6748A8-58E5-4915-9417-3AD2A1CE516E.jpeg

9D9E8DEB-1742-4912-B500-5466760158C7.jpeg

4BFA528E-3DB0-41D2-BA18-D72007C8B947.jpeg

Nice looking car!  Wow, that is a lot of questions.  When I bought my 55 Century I had similar problems. If you do not have a service manual you will need to get one. Original and reprints are available. Before driving it too much I would thoroughly check the braking system. I would inspect the whole system and rebuild or replace the four wheel cylinders, Master cylinder and replace all rubber brake hoses. "It is more important to stop than to go" Also do a search in this forum. You can find a lot of answers to your questions that way. Then go after the engine issues.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The engine idle speed is very slow on a '55 with a Dynaflow (automatic) transmission. I would bump the idle speed to 600 rpm when warm and in Park. But the cold stalling could be two things that should be checked, a stuck choke, and lubrication of the distributor. 

Since you dont report a problem on your return trip from town I do not think the choke is stuck but it still may be too rich (tight). For a reference I will say my '56 will start with one pump of the gas pedal before activating the starter only if I run it every 3 days. After that it takes a bit to get it started.  Usually, I will pump it once to set the choke and the crank it one time, for 6 -10 seconds to get the fuel to the pump and carburetor.  Then I will pump it 6 times and try to start it. Of note, I try to keep my starter engaged in 6-10 second cycles to prevent overheating it.  I will then pump the pedal between cranking sessions a few more times if needed.  Once it is started I will keep the engine running at what sounds to me to be 1200 -1400 rpm for the time it takes to see the ammeter needle return from the + side of the gauge.  Then I slowly back off the gas pedal to make sure the fast idle circuit is in play.  But a huge caution.  I will never again drop my Dynaflow into reverse until the engine is running at the 600 rpm idle. To do so at a fast idle risks dislodging the reverse band strut.  I am no longer strong enough to push this car backwards out of a spot on any minimal slope. 

As for distributor lubrication note there is the external oil line AND there is a port on the breaker plate (inside) which needs to be addressed. I use a 30 wt non detergent oil in the external oil line. I have used lighter oil on the internal oil port, and that could be 10 wt 3-in-1 oil or even Marvel Mystery oil. I started with marvel mystery oil, about 6 drops, and then a few months later did it again. After that I did it once a year with the 3-in-1 oil product. 

Good luck. 

Edited by JohnD1956
faulty thought vs typing effort (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a LOT of information, factory especially, at the Hometown Buick website for these cars?

From the images of the interior and "seat cover", the "under the cover" could well be the factory covers?

In your restoration/refurbishment, DO REPLACE ALL OF THE RUBBER FUEL LINES ON THE VEHICLE, from the tank forward to the carburetor.  

DO make sure the ignition points "dwell" setting is to spec.  Make sure the spark plugs are in pretty good condition, too.  Plus the plug wires.  End result, getting a good spark with which to start the engine when cold or hot.

DO check the automatic choke operation.  Might need to loosen the adjustment one notch (as the thermostatic springs can tighten with age), too.  Make sure the pull-off mechanism is working freely, too.

A good point about re-doing the brake system FIRST.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would check the carburetor dashpot to see if it is adjusted correctly.  It may also not be in good shape, it may have rotted out.  I'm assuming this is a Dynaflow equipped car, the dashport was designed to keep the engine from stalling at low speeds like when you take your foot off the gas pedal when approaching a stop sign. The one on my 55 Special was completely rotted out from age and the engine performance improved.

This is a quick and easy fix.

Mark

• Like 6

Just to add regarding upholstery check out https://smsautofabrics.com/collections/1955-buick?page=4. They may well have an exact match for your original cloth shown in your pictures (although they do not have an image - the link I've given shows all of the 1955 Buick material images so you can get an idea). SMS will provide you a sample (snipped a tiny piece from both a '65 Rambler and '58 Chevy Apache and mailed to them to match and they had exact weaves to match both). SMS isn't cheap and you may well be able to find something that is quite suitable someplace like https://www.kovifabrics.com/ or https://www.discounteddesignerfabrics.com/ or https://palazzofabrics.com/. All will also provide samples when requested and the cost is less than SMS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good news! I rebuilt the carb wnd adjuster the choke and idle mixture screws and the stalling issue is all good. The idle is a bit high but it is better than too low. The dashpot does look a bit rusty but no issues so I might replace it later if there’s an issue but at the moment the car runs great! There was an issue that the car was stalling and not running whatsoever but I fixed cause a clip was not on properly and besides that there everything went well. I would like to thank everyone for all their help and could have fixed it without your guys knowledge. Also I bought a manual and you’re right definitely worth the money and helped me fix where the clip went. Thanks!

Also I have a before and after of the carb. Man it definitely needed to be cleaned. I used pine sol and it worked wonders left it for a couple days and all the grease easily came off!

E3B628DE-B15B-4B0B-92E6-1F267B59C78C.png

F971A625-D8B2-4660-94CF-30E6D4689E68.jpeg

60D6B321-C1A8-42BC-B6DB-F068A72E6CD8.jpeg

A8676FD8-F6BF-4D99-8A83-AB19671FA3AC.jpeg

Edited by 55BuickSpecial (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1