1941 Hudson truck, not mine.

If your truck has 9 leaf springs per side. Someone has removed a few. The rear leafs in a 46-47 Hudson, could hold up a house. And then Hudson used a simple C style rear leaf hanger. A spring load supported by what has to be the strongest hanger ever made by man. I have seen dents blasted into the bottom of the frame rail, from the spring eye bottoming out on the frame. And the metal threaded bushing totally gone. And the rear hanger is just hooked in the frame rail. I could not imagine what you would have to do in order to bottom out the rear suspension on a 46-47 Hudson truck. Truck listed for sale is a short bed. I think that is the 1/2 ton, not 100% sure on that. And I do not think any short bed trucks were made in 46-47? I have also never seen those wheels before? Looks like a nice truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ford and early Chrysler have the same bolt pattern on the wheels. Could be a Ford wheel someone put on there. The black truck pictured has had the cab stretched 7 inches. And that same amount was removed from the bed when a new one was made. Owner did not want to stretch the frame, so the stock size of the bed had to be made shorter. Closest thing to a 46-47 short bed you will find. It still looks better with the bigger cab. The cabs were to small for the size of the front end and the bed.

hudson trucks 014.JPG

hudson trucks 013.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

The Hudson cars and pick ups from this era have great lines. 

My 42 Commodore 8 . . . .

The sedan front door is really narrow (used on the pick up) They made a top line long wheelbase sedan with a longer door but they are RARE. 

IMG_8786-1200x900.jpg

IMG_8698-1200x900.jpg

IMG_8788-1200x900.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

With the top of the door having no curve in it. That is the same door used on the two door sedans. Same length as a coupe door, just shape different on top to match the curve of the roof. Were there any long wheel base sedans in 46-47?

The "Custom" long wheelbase offerings started in 1934 with the "Custom 8" through 1939, then became the Commodore Custom" for '40-42,  and ended.  No long wheelbase cars post WWII from Hudson.

My '35 Custom 8 Brougham (model HUL) shown. 

side.jpg

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Beautiful flowing lines on the 34-35 Hudson’s. Did you put lowering blocks on the front and rear of the car? Tire to fender fit looks a little to nice for a original car. Not complaining, has a very nice stance.

Thanks for the compliment to the car.  This is one of 4  '35 Broughams (no quarter window),(no 34s known) and I was happy to find it a few years ago and effectively "save" it.  A previous owner had done some modifications.  Those are 15" Jaguar XJ wheels on the car now, similar in appearance to the original artillery type but chrome.  Rear springs are stock, bit dearched by age.  Front suspension is XJ but incredibly(!) uses Hudson mounting points.  Were it not for the Chev 250 "Big Six", I was told this car would have been scrapped decades ago.  Original Hudson splash oiler 8 was 254" and long gone.   

Hope this discussion of other Hudsons is not too detrimental to the subject '41 pickup of this thread! 

• Like 1

Also if you look at the axle center line in the front. Hudson from the 30's to the 40's moved the tire back in the front wheel well. I have never had a problem with suspension travel when I have modified the fender or suspension to center the front tire. Truck pictured at the start of this shows how tire is moved backwards in the wheel well. You can see over the top of the Oldsmobile fender that I cut into the front of the fender and grill panel to change the shape of the wheel well opening, as well as increasing the wheel base 3/4 of an inch with a suspension change. Just to get a better look to the fit of the tire. 1940's Hudsons had a big tapper on the front edge of the wheel opening. Convertible front suspension is all stock, pictured next to the truck.

shop 101.JPG

Hudson engine pictures 056.JPG

buick 001.JPG

hudsons 015.JPG

• Like 2

The 34 was mine. Started working on it, was going to be my daily driver back and forth to work. It did not work out that way, Idaho wants and needs to tell a story in a certain way, over the truth. Loved the 34, always wanted a 34. You will never find another like that one. All original. It is seen in the Hudson club, nice car. Truck was sold a few years ago, bought another project truck. But the purchase of a Hornet coupe will lead to the sale of a few cars. Go back and forth on them, would love to build my caddy/ hudson custom. But the 41 caddy might go down the road. We will see, maybe justice will happen. There is also another 41 Hudson truck project on Hemmings right now.

34 hudson 037.jpg

34 hudson 021.jpg

34 hudson 046.jpg

34 hudson 062.JPG

34 hudson 070.JPG

more pictures of 49 018.jpg

more pictures of 49 033.jpg

hudson truck 019.jpg

52 hornet 780.JPG

• Like 1