'36 D2 Restoration Newcomer

36Dodge_redo

Hello Everyone, 

I am new to the forum and I am getting started on my families first restoration.  My uncle has had a '36 D2 Business coupe that I have envied all my life and this November I came across a very solid 36 D2 4 door Sedan in my area.   My family decided to go for it with the guidance of my uncle and the knowledge of the internet we hope to bring it back to life keeping it as close to original as possible.   I have 2 young daughters who are eager to help and a wife who has been excited to get out in the garage and work on it with me.  The previous owner was a very kind gentleman who didn't get around to doing this project and we could tell he was attached to it as he let us haul it away.  We promised that it was going to a good home and would be given a new chance at life and a garage to live in.  We were able to benefit from the years of planning and parts collection that he had done and have a very good starting point.  We are currently in the process of tearing the car down to send off for blasting and epoxy coating.  During the process of tear down we are identifying what we are missing and in what order we want to chase parts and begin rebuild.  We are fortunate to have a complete grill and crank cover but during disassembly have found that the grill is cracked in several places and will need significant repair.  While the grill will certainly get its repair someday we may look for a more immediate cost effective solution to keep the project moving and would love the input of others.  So far that is the only bad news we have found in tear down.  I hope to keep this thread updated as we make progress and as a sounding board as I inevitably find more challenges to work through.      

Pass_side.jpg

dash.jpg

side_rear.jpg

garage.jpg

Front.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like a good start to a long road! I would recommend buying a Dodge Maintenance manual and a Motor's Manual for reference. Can't have enough info. There's a number of folks on this forum that can help with questions and I can redo the window guide tracks and some other parts. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I do see that you might need a set of correct wheels which I also have. Your car is a 4 door touring sedan which is important when sourcing certain parts. I also have extra trim and some spare parts. Most of the Dodge guys have good sources for many of the odd and hard to find parts and can guide you in where to buy and what to stay away from. Good luck on your restoration journey!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

Looks like you have 36 Desoto Airstream headlights on it, if you want original 36 Dodge buckets I would be interested in buying yours or trading. I also have quite a few parts for 36 Dodge 

My uncle pointed this out to me.  I actually think I like the chrome accent on the headlights.  I know it isn't pure but its the way it came to me.

3 hours ago, jpage said:

Looks like a good start to a long road! I would recommend buying a Dodge Maintenance manual and a Motor's Manual for reference. Can't have enough info. There's a number of folks on this forum that can help with questions and I can redo the window guide tracks and some other parts. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I do see that you might need a set of correct wheels which I also have. Your car is a 4 door touring sedan which is important when sourcing certain parts. I also have extra trim and some spare parts. Most of the Dodge guys have good sources for many of the odd and hard to find parts and can guide you in where to buy and what to stay away from. Good luck on your restoration journey!

Jpage, 

I have a maintenance manual, and am lucky enough to be getting a running flathead from my uncle (the original motor came disassembled and may be a rebuild project sometime down the road).  What is the difference between the touring sedan and any of the other sedans?  I know some have the spare tires in the fender.  I have 5 original wheels but only one hubcap.  Fortunately this car came with all of the trim except the piece of body molding that attaches to the running board.  I will be in touch regarding the guide tracks.  I know some of the rubber gets replaced and other parts were metal that I removed when taking out the windows.  It is all bagged and tagged for reassembly.  I am interested in hearing which parts get refinished.  My interior was in spectacular condition and will make for easy templating when it is to get refinished.  I have one spot of floorboard that needs replaced, otherwise she is rust free.  I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and who knows maybe meeting someday at shows.  

• Like 1

The touring sedans have the trunks. There a several differences in body parts between the sedans and the touring sedans. The running board trim can be hard to locate and there used to be a company, L&L Antique Auto Trim that used to make it but I think they might be out of business. I can also help you with trim clips and rubber parts as I used to work for Restoration Specialties who makes and sell a lot of this type of parts. Some are still available and some are not. I see that your car has a radio, a cool accessory. Incidentally, I have a set of new gauge decals I had made for my car if you are interested. I ended up getting 2 other parts cars just to glean the special missing parts! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'm not an expert but I am pretty familiar with these cars after 30 years. Uptowndodge has a lot of knowledge too and he's very helpful. A new top seal is available too from a guy on this forum. Here's a pic of the gauge decals. Here's also some pics of my car as we just got the body on the frame this summer! I also make new front kick panels and firewall pads for this car.

058.JPG

060.JPG

Body 2.jpg

body 3.jpg

IMG24.JPG

IMG19.JPG

striped.JPG

DSC02397.JPG

DSC02398.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jpage said:

Just saw a current post that L & L is back in business but don't know any particulars! Incidentily, the running board trim on the '36 is painted body color to match the fenders

Thanks, I will check them out.  I have one of them but it is half eroded.  It took a while to figure out wher it went.  wasnt until i pulled thr running boards and noticed the holes for trim attachment that i put it all together.

• 4 weeks later...

Many of the Mopar parts guys and even several hot rod suppliers sell some repro parts for these cars. The selection is limited and the quality, from the parts I've seen and used is not real good. None of the parts are die formed and all seem to be hand made, but fairly nicely made of the correct thickness of steel. They look good, but the ones I've had did not fit well at all. I used a tailpan from the Plymouth Doctor that fit the best but it did require substantial reworking to get it right. Other parts, even another tailpan were either scrapped or returned to the sellers, they were so bad. I had to make my own rocker panels because of poor shaping and high pricing. Problems aside, the repro parts are the only option other than having them custom made.  If you can do any of your own bodywork, that would be a help and would save some money. The trunk latch support should be removed and repaired too. There's a loose drilled and tapped steel flat inside of it so the latch can be adjusted. There is also an inner panel, that you can see in the photos, behind the tailpan, which is usually rotted. I don't think that piece is available. The tailpan I got came in 2 pieces, the main part and a separate channel which serves to hold the bottom weatherseal. This section is virtually rusted away on your car. I wish I could tell you exactly where to buy the best quality parts but I can't, it may be a trial and error issue. Hopefully someone else may be able to recommend a good source. Good hunting!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jpage said:

Many of the Mopar parts guys and even several hot rod suppliers sell some repro parts for these cars. The selection is limited and the quality, from the parts I've seen and used is not real good. None of the parts are die formed and all seem to be hand made, but fairly nicely made of the correct thickness of steel. They look good, but the ones I've had did not fit well at all. I used a tailpan from the Plymouth Doctor that fit the best but it did require substantial reworking to get it right. Other parts, even another tailpan were either scrapped or returned to the sellers, they were so bad. I had to make my own rocker panels because of poor shaping and high pricing. Problems aside, the repro parts are the only option other than having them custom made.  If you can do any of your own bodywork, that would be a help and would save some money. The trunk latch support should be removed and repaired too. There's a loose drilled and tapped steel flat inside of it so the latch can be adjusted. There is also an inner panel, that you can see in the photos, behind the tailpan, which is usually rotted. I don't think that piece is available. The tailpan I got came in 2 pieces, the main part and a separate channel which serves to hold the bottom weatherseal. This section is virtually rusted away on your car. I wish I could tell you exactly where to buy the best quality parts but I can't, it may be a trial and error issue. Hopefully someone else may be able to recommend a good source. Good hunting!

Well… it was bound to happen.  Things seem to be going well then you remove some bondo!  Anybody know where I can get a trunk pan?  Looks pretty localized to that spot.

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to pull the rear pan all the way off, let the blasters clean it and seal it up,  then I will

come back and rebuild it.  Not looking good for anyone reproducing.  I have found the coupe rear pan, nothing for the sedan.  I will update with pictures when I make progress.

E72B0F80-0E45-4CB1-81A0-CF554DD30440.jpeg

63C98280-732E-4D44-A56A-D153393820DB.jpeg

F7F549B4-387F-40E3-9E69-1D9DEB71B29E.jpeg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Trying to knock out all the metal work before sending it off to blasting.  Found lots of lead in the front fender.  Getting it cut out and a new piece back in.  Need to work the bead back into the new piece.

B196E5FE-CDC7-44D8-AEA1-235C98E9EDAA.jpeg

12C82D12-0A34-494D-B827-AA2A024E2CAD.jpeg

D204A37F-3386-42E3-898F-146738B69AA9.jpeg